Planting 4 O'Clocks

I have some 4 O'clock tubers that I want plant. I do know I can plant them directly in the ground but I don't know which way to plant them. Do the tubers go straight up and down in the hole with the wider end at top OR are they placed in the ground length wise? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to gardening and trying to learn as I go. Thanks
Sorry for the multiple post on this subject. My newserver was really acting up and I never saw the posts come thru until this morning. I apologize.

are

You can do it either way. Four o'clocks are resilient but of course the natural way is preferable, i.e., doing it "straight up and down...". This willnecessitate digging a deeper hole though. I love four o'clocks. I think I have almost all color varieties, all raised from seeds.