Plant ID...

I'll try to get a pic to post in the binaries group, but figured I'd throw this out there for all the experts.
Plant is now about 2 feet tall, has purple coneflower style leaves (ie sorta start fat at the stalk and go more pointy), the stalk is fairly dark green & bamboo like , ie grows in noticeable segments or sections, and it looks like it's going to have some very small purple flowers on a stalk at the top but not a lot of them - sort of a wispy little flower stalk like grass seed (those are subject to change as it's still growing). I think there are 3 or 4 stalks all coming up, seemingly one plant.
Any ideas?
Thanks LeeAnne -zone 5, north of Boston-
LeeAnne,

Mmmh, sounds like a member of the Polygonaceae (hope I spelled it right) family. If the leaves weren't purple, I would have said: Fallopia japonica. But that one has got green leaves and a somewhat rhubarb-coloured stalk. And it's a *weed*! Hopefully your plant is something else, otherwise you've got a problem....
Bye, Gaby
--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry
http://www.gaby.de/bilder /

LeeAnne said:

Maybe Polygonum orientale -- Prince's feather or 'Kiss me over the garden gate'
The flowers are usually described as pink, but it's a purplish pink.
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=POOR2

A valiant effort, but nope. The leaves on that are too fat and the plant isn't dark enough. OK, tonite I will get a picture (if it's not raining!)
Thanks LeeAnne