Plant

Can anyone identify this 'tree/plant' in my front garden?

(leaves)
(stem)

People who go to my backyard (A/C person, exterminator) claim it gets in the way, but I think it's a nice plant. I wonder if it could be moved without killing it.

Appreciate any info. BTW- I live just outside of Houston, TX if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Wow, Beautiful. I think the A/C person and the exterminator are just griping because they have to cope with the leaves. At least the lawn care guys don't weed-whack it like the guys who do my lawn did my day lilies, iris, and amaryllis. We have always called these Elephant Ears but I don't know if that's the right name.

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

Philodenedron selloum. It looks like it has taken over your sidewalk! It would be quite a job to move that monster. Can you hack it back to where folks could get by? Maybe redirect its rampant growth...If it has to go, wait till cooler weather to try to transplant it. Good luck.

elizabeth

Reply to
Elizabeth

That is a tropical plant. In Brazil it is called Adam's rib (with a smaller variety being called Eve's rib). It does great in big pots indoors as long as it gets plenty of sunlight and water. I have two in pots indoors which we take outdoors during the summer months (now living in Canada so the plants can't stand the winter outside). In your area you could probably leave it outdoors all year around in pots. It needs space for root growth and to transplant you will need to dig deep to get the whole root ball. If you find that the root ball has a split growth you can divide the root and plant them in separate pots. Mine grew so much we divided the root when we transplanted it into a bigger pot. Let me know if you need any more help with it.

FayeC

Reply to
Faye Tarzwell

Oh for crissake, forget the stupid common name. Common names are worthless.

The plat is Philodendon selloum, a popular landscape plant in the southwest and widely gown as a houseplant in colder parts of the country.

Sure you can move it but be sure to get a good portion of the rootstock and give it plenty of water after you move it. Maybe you should wait until the hot summer has passed before moving it?

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Forgive me for not knowing the scientific name of the plant in question....I only kew how to transplant and care for it.

FayeC zone5a

Reply to
Faye Tarzwell

That's really sad.

One could just as easily train a chimp to do that!!!

question....I

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-