Pine Tree Question

Some vines are growing into my pine trees. These vines have broad, 7 pointed leaves on them. Will the vines hurt the pines? Should I pull out the vines ? Or is it a "symbiotic" relationship of some sort ? I don't know what variety of pines they are. The pines are about 6 to 8 feet tall, and look prety healthy except for some dead branches near the bottom. Lots of new growth this spring, but some dead branches on the bottoms from the cold winter here in Pa.

Thanks,

Lecher9000

You have Virginia creeper on your pine trees. It is a symbiotic relationship and will, in no way, harm your trees. Some people, however, do not like the looks of Virginia creeper on their trees. If you are one of these people, there is an easy way to remove the vines. Go to your nearest swimming pool supply store and purchase a gallon of muriatic acid. Pour the muriatic acid, undiluted, into a pump-up sprayer and spray onto the leaves of the Virginia creeper. The vines will turn brown and die within three hours. If you have any muriatic acic left over it makes a great substitute for tonic water in your daily toddy. Because of its peculiar flavor, it completely eliminates the need for a twist of lime or lemon.

Cheers!

Reply to
<Terri>

Pull them or cut them. Do not know what they are but they do not belong and are just seeking light by climbing the tree. I'm constantly cutting grape and honey suckle vines from mine in Northern DE. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Poor guy asks a serious question and gets a wack job answer ;( Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Then some d*****ad like you comes along who doesn't know that muriatic acid is an excellent herbicide for Virginia creeper.

Reply to
John P. Mullen

Maybe so. Concentrated HCl, muriatic acid, will kill practically anything and probably ruin the sprayer as well as eat away the guys clothes. He sounds like a novice as this is his 2nd or third inquiry. Nobody in their right mind would make this recommendation to a novice. You can drink HCl diluted, after all it is stomach acid, but it will harm your teeth. The vine can smoother and kill the trees. Be nice - asshole!

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Absolutely. Why would anybody want to kill off this lovely plant? Virginia creeper is not harmful to your tree, it's not symbiotic, it just clings via little adhesive disks, unlike the horrible ivy that worms its way into your tree with its little roots, and then kills your tree. And in the Autumn V. creeper looks nice when the leaves turn red.

Here in U.K. we encourage Clematis (old man's beard) to grow up into our trees, because they look nice when they flower.

Pine trees always seem to have dead branches towards the bottom anyway. Or at least, mine do. Maybe you should encourage growth from the bottom by cutting off the tops.

s.

Reply to
someone

Then some Ahole like you defends half the wako's answer with some condensending and obnoxious answer while not touching the other half which is downright dangerous if not deadly. Yes muratic acid (dilute hydrochloric acid) is excellent against Virginia Creeper. It's also all hell on the mouth, esophagus and stomach (which usually makes more han enough of its own). So instead of looking for some "d*****ad, smartass" answer, try to be really helpful and give some useful information.

Reply to
V_coerulea

Thanks for the replies. But this is a 7 pointed leaf, and there is no "center" from which they emerge. Looks more like a maple leaf with 7 points. But without the jaggedness of a maple leaf.

I got a picture of VC from the web, and my vine doesn't look like a VC. The VC leaf pics had only 5 points (leaflets) and all 5 emerged from one point. My vine doesnt have any leaqflets, just one big 7 pointed leaf.

Thanks,

Lecher9000

More info :

Thanks for the replies. But this is a 7 pointed leaf, and there is no "center" from which they emerge. Looks more like a maple leaf with 7 points. But without the jaggedness of a maple leaf.

I got a picture of VC from the web, and my vine doesn't look like a VC. The VC leaf pics had only 5 points (leaflets) and all 5 emerged from one point. My vine doesnt have any leaqflets, just one big 7 pointed leaf.

Thanks,

Lecher9000

Where are you located? If you are in he Pacific Northwest, you may have vine maple, Acer circinatum. It is a very desirable & interesting little tree. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming train." Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Reply to
Iris Cohen