"Perfect" lawns are hideous

Page 2 of 2

A former neighbor told me that the stuff Chem Lawn was spraying on her grass was not unsafe if it drifted onto my vegetable garden. Why? "How could they sell it if it wasn't safe?"
54% of the population's just like that.
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:57:30 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Chem Lawn uses a mix of herbicide with its fertilizer. The herbicide does not harm the grass, but it kills other weeds.

Are you responding to my paragraph, which began with "A former neighbor"? If so, please try again. What you said is not pertinent to the issue.

So don't have one. Voila!
I have in the far past lived near citys that your landscaping was a major part of the citys codes, in otherwords, if you din't have a good lawn with some flower beds you faced a fine from the city. I ran a lawn service and servered many of those lawns. Ofcourse for flower beds I'd build a line of rose bushs along some hidden watering lines. I kow of one guy who's lawn I just once a week took a water hose and washed it off, it was all astroturf and the city didn't like it but could't do anything about it.
--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the
Starlord wrote:

They'd like my scythe-cut acre, which gets cut over a series of several days, a couple of 10' wide swaths a day as the mood to go outside and do a little cutting strikes.
The average height of the lawn is then determined by how fast it grows ; you simply cut a little every day and nature takes care of it.
I think it looks better than mower-cut lawns, but it's a hugely different style.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

I put my draft horse out on mine and let him eat away. Later I finish up with a pair of mini horses for detail work. Oh, sure, I can mower cut it all in an hour or so but the horses fertilize, too. ;)
Why not try doing that at a home on a plain city lot? Where you might be lucky to have a backyard that's a whole 25ft by 30ft and your front yard is maybe a little over that or even way under that?
I used to do one lady who lived a block from the ocean, no back or sideyard and her postagestamp front yard took all of 2 mins to cut with my power mower. Plus she had the ONLY green yard on the street for 2 blocks. She had it nicy edged with 4 O'clocks too.
--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:26:50 +0000 (UTC), Gemstone Rivers

Oh if I could convince my husband to let me get a few goats and a horse! I live 100 feet inside the city limits, but still out in the country. No farm animals allowed. A few goats would keep this place weeded and mowed!

I'm pretty sure most cities consider a goat a farm animal. I'm in the middle of our town and the only thing not allowed right here is cloven- hooved animals: goats, cows, llamas, etc. (Don't ask me why. I have no idea.) I keep my horses right here next to the only restaurant, the town hall, the USPS and the fire station. Horses are allowed because they are still considered transportation here. (Yes, I ride my horse to the post office.) You might want to look into mini horses. They can slip under some regulations and they eat grass just fine. :)
If you want to see mine, go to: http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd and check out the HORSES folder.
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:05:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf

In this photo he looks injured on his haunch, but I thought it could also have been after a long rain. He's beautiful!
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1451495101065994325IEAawT
No, not a draft. I just used two thousand as a round number in pounds. I had an appalousa with the smoothest gait and I never needed a saddle unless we were riding the coral for something special. What precious animals.

Well, if you mix it with your alfalfa hay (never coastal bermuda) or pine bedding, you continue to turn it every few days. When it no longer heats up it can be used. Be aware that horse manure has a TON of weed seeds in it and the heat does not always kill the seeds.
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:42:09 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf

Just curious, doesn't the 1/2 ton round start to decompose in the center? How long does it take you kids to eat that bale?
For gardening sake, it's not bad to make compost with horse manure and coastal bermuda, but the seeds stay in the compost, even after it's fully finished. So, just something to think about.

No, the mold is usually on the outside of the bale (if you don't get bails that were stored inside) and the horses start eating from the center. They're pretty smart, all in all, and will avoid anything moldy unless, I suppose, they're starving and there is absolutely nothing else for them to eat.
Once the bail gets so hollowed out it collapses, I torch it and get them a new bail.

Coastal bermuda isn't something we have 'round here AFAIK.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:49:38 -0800, "Starlord"

My city has regulations, but they do not include a demand for a lawn. If one does have a lawn it is nice to keep it mowed even if it's only tons of weeds.