Poisonous plants

I have just put in a wildlife pond,and I am looking at a blank area of soil behind it.Are there any shrubs that will look nice,as a back drop to a pond? Something that wont shed too much,and that the flowers are safe for frogs and any other creatures that want a drink.Thanks Buddlia perhaps? Open to suggestions.

Reply to
kathateria

Hi Kathateria, Personally, I would be inclined to plant something that is evergreen, otherwise you risk the autumn leaves falling in the pond which can cause problems as they break down in the water using valuable oxygen in doing so. Also, something evergreen will surely look more pleasing over a longer period ? As to what you use, I think thats a matter of personal preference ? but avoid anything that drops lots of leaves or petals ie, Camellia Lannerman

Reply to
lannerman

Evergreens lose just as much foilage as diciduous plants and even more, just that it's continuously replaced. To harbor wildlife that lives around ponds I'd plant cattails, ferns, grasses, and various wildflowers that attract butterflies. It's difficult to make specific recommendations without at least seeing a picture of this so-called "pond" (it's size and surroundings), which is probably really a pool.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Not knowing what your soil, climate or aspect are it is very hard to say.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thanks all for the replies. Our soil is acidic, and quite hard,although I have put alot of compost down around the the pond,to mix it up! an area of about 2 foot wide and 1 foot wide. It is close to a fence,and behind a shed and composter,but it gets hot in the summer. No sun on it until about 12pm in the day. From the picture, the bush/plant/shrub will be about a foot from the composter and 1.5 foot from the pond.

kathateria

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Don't worry about him, it isn't personal, Brooklyn is highly democratic having a bad word or two for everybody not just you. You see him at his best, his nym used to be "Grumplyn".

David Hare-Scott