penstemons

can I lift and divide penstemons and if so when?Also are they easy t

grow from seed? thanks in anticipatio

-- gancanny

Reply to
gancanny

I divide mine in the spring. My 'Husker's Red' seeds itself, so I assume that they would be easy to grow from seed. You should research to see if the seeds need a cold period before they geminate.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Penstemons often resent being dug up & might take over a year to recover, or not recover at all; but if never ever divided, huge old clumps will become less & less flowery.

Some grow true from seeds, most do not.

The ideal & swiftest method is to just plant new ones to replace the old. New plants are easily restarted from cuttings in a coldframe which is the main method of propogation of plants that are true to the parent cultivar. When the cuttings are well enough long to put into their permanent locations, the worn out clumps go to the compost & replaced by the youngsters.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I think this depends on the variety - my Husker's Reds have been moved several times. Don't seem to mind at all.

I cut back the flowering stems and cut them up so I have a still piece of stem about 3-4" long with a pair of leaves at the top. Stick it in the dirt in a shady spot and keep watered. Move to sun in the fall. Last year I did about 20 of them and had plants this year that bloomed. Maybe

50%, but I didn't baby them enough to get more.

This also works well on Sour Grapes Penstemon and a lot of other plants, too.

I didn't do well with the seeds.

I just love your web site. So many good photos and good descriptions!

Reply to
Sterling

I also have 'Husker's Red' which doesn't reseed, but it does produce off shoots. Gulf Coast penstemon comes true from seed, and doesn't mind being moved at all.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

many thanks to all who replied....you have been most helpful an informative many thanks agai

-- gancanny

Reply to
gancanny