pee in the pile

Page 1 of 2
Heard at my composting class that human urine is good for the compost pile.
Caca, poo poo, pee pee to you too!!!
Just how many people are considered to be healthy nowadays, Merkle Turkle?
How much uric acid is good for the compost pile?
Is the urine still 95% water if you've been out drinking alcoholic beverages and abusing controlled substances all night?
If you bladder is full, you might not make it all the way to the compost pile!!!
If you really want to go organic, why not fart on your plants as an all-natural insecticide?

RIGHT... and so it is. That is how polio and many other diseases including some of the hepatitis viruses get passed around. Ingrid
As a kid you are brainwashed into thinking

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:40:27 -0400, dr-solo wrote:

We're talking about using your OWN not other people's for starters.
Don't spread FUD.
".......... RIGHT... and so it is. That is how polio and many other diseases including some of the hepatitis viruses get passed around. Ingrid ..........2
What a load of Garbage............I think this really is someone taking the Piss.......
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Yours is the first reasonable and knowledgeable post I've seen in this thread.
Lana
<< For some strange reason we have a greater fear of urine

Actually, if you have nothing better and are out with the Special Forces eating spiders (or lost in the woods) its a useful topical antiseptic. zemedelec
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uidsx18640&dopt stract you are right, it was only 403,000 people infected. http://www.waterquality.crc.org.au/hsarch/HS8b.htm in ice made from the contaminated water and tested using PCR both cattle genotypes and human genotypes were found indicating both sources of feces contaminated the drinking water. Milwaukee got a problem with surface run off and the overflow of sewage into the lake during torrential downpours in spring.
I agree, feces are worse. what is worse is the feces or urine of ones own species. because most disease become adapted by selection to rapidly infect particular species. they become more pathogenic .. this is especially true with viruses.

.. this isnt true. http://www.lhc.org.uk/members/pubs/factsht/62fact.htm http://216.239.37.104/search?q che:Y9tOt8g1XjAJ:www.cpwr.com/hazpdfs/hazsludge.pdf+diseases+in+sewage+workers&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 http://qsilver.queensu.ca/~mspadmin/pages/In_The_News/2001/April/Risk.htm http://www.afscme.org/health/riskyb07.htm http://www.swpho.org.uk/waste/sewage.htm just for a start Ingrid

healthy.
Ingrid you are mistaken. In most people most of the time urine is sterile. The only time it is not is if the owner has a urinary tract infection. The microorganisms that cause many diseases that are communicable by contact, exchanging bodily fliuids, droplets in sneezes, etc don't generally cross over from the blood stream to the urine.
See here http://www.engenderhealth.org/ip/disease/dtm2.html
In the case of the UTI the bugs mostly get into the urine and surrounding tissue from the outside via the urethra not by crossing from the blood.
In the home situation you are much more likely to exchange microbes with each other by touching, kissing, breathing etc than contact with the urine of another. The chance of getting such via urine when you have not got it by any of the more common methods would be slim indeed.
My estimation is that the risk is vanishingly small.
David
This info came from the master gardener's. Would think they know what they were talking about. Of course you don't line up strangers and have them pee in your compost pile. Of course you don't pee in the compost if you have AIDS either. Come on.

not
such
foods
it
also
it

That's a title one obtains primarily through volunteer work and a measure of training, all the result of a government based program. They are no more qualified nor expert than any of a number of other gardeners and they are certainly not qualified as chemists or horticulturists simply because they have completed an MG program. Programs are state sponsored and some are absolutely worthless while others are great. You'll find that many of the folks on this newsgroup are more experienced and knowledgeable than the average MG.

I would think not. Like I said in my post -- urine has been used for centuries in a similar manner, however in days gone by there were not as many chemicals in it so it was more "pure". Nowadays I wouldn't do it due to the variety of chemicals and such in what we consume (healthy or otherwise).
Compost piles do just fine on their own -- if you want to add the same effect, just sprinkle some nitrogen and over it and you'll be fine. (Urine also contains phosphate,calcium, and various other minerals for that matter although I'd think it's the nitrogen you're after.)
Hey -- if you REALLY want to get gung ho about it, go get a composting toilet or a septic system installed and go the whole nine yards. Ever notice how green the grass is around a septic system's leach field? :)

BTW, being HIV positive and urinating on the pile would be little different than someone not infected doing the same.
James

different
Nope, it wouldn't be "little different", it would be NO different. The virus doesn't live in air.
Philip
While it is true of HIV that it does not appear to be transmissible in urine, other viruses do indeed survive in the air. For example, cold viruses are typically spread on door knobs and infectious virus of pox is present in the dried scabs. Ingrid

Which is why I limited my remarks to HIV alone. I just get tired of the stupid remarks around a disease that has the potential of destroying entire nations. Look into what's happened in Africa regarding HIV and the destruction of a couple of generations of people. One UN ag deputy minister went into Africa for a meeting with minister from Nigeria, IIRC (it may have been Zimbabwe) and was met by the country's Minister of Agriculture. This was highly unusual, the meeting was a low level one. The minister explained that normally he'd have sent several deputies, but they had all died of AIDS. He then went on to say that AIDS has so decimated his country's farmers that famine is pretty well assured.
Well, off my soapbox now, Philip
urine, other

typically spread

You are incorrect. Most individuals who are HIV positive are also on a cocktail of medications to stay alive. Therefore the urine would not be the same -- there would be a variety of chemicals present that are not present in the urine of those not infected. Furthermore, each individual would likely not have the same biological processes, eating habits, and other factors that affect urine content. Ergo the statement that the two would be little different.
Semantics aside, we're saying the same thing -- this aspect of the thread is purely idiotic. James
Agreed. Let's let the AIDS thing drop.
Philip

the
be
is
Since you are "no one of importance", we can ignore your request.
If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist like Reagan did, that's your personal prerogative and don't try to impose it on anyone else.

The
present
would
thread
OK, maybe you didn't read the whole thread. I was agreeing with James that the idea of AIDS being passed by urinating in a compost pile was pretty much stupid and should be dropped.
Philip

be
would
other
Maybe you didn't read my earlier statements. I am disagreeing with you, buckwheat.
You should not underestimate the potential of infectious diseases being spread by a trash pile and the vermin they attract. Its just like the vermin this thread attracts. You and Jim Bob should be dropped from the discussion.

little
on
not
Maybe I gave you credit for not being a cretin. I was wrong in that. Until you have specialized in infectious disease, which I have, until you have more than an eighth-grade mentality, which you don't, until you have, in other words, a clue, don't come around with your spew. You're diatribe was meaningless.
AIDS, or specifically HIV, cannot be spread by urinating into a trash pile. That was, and has been, my stance. HIV has specific transmission vectors, urine that is exposed to atmosphere is not one of them.
Go away little creep.

different.
two