PBS's Victory Garden

Page 1 of 3
Has anyone been watching PBS's Victory Garden this season? Everyone from last season except Kip (the gardner) is gone. The new hosts are just horrible. The programs seem to be all over the place and most of them have not been worth watching. There was one where the host spent almost the entire post bending metal for a potting design. What a waste!
PBS had a great program in the Victory Garden but, IMO they ruined it. They need to go back to the good old days when they had great hosts and spent their time on interesting gardening subjects.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Have you been watching it since the original, with Jim Crockett? He understood continuity and focus.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Yes, I am that old. :) And back then the show was ALL about gardening. In the last few years it has taken quite a different direction. Less gardening and a lot of other stuff that I don't watch a gardening program for.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
On 9/30/07 11:51 AM, in article 46ffc61e$0$15925$ snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com,

Me too. I stopped watching it when the guy with the goofy laugh took over. HE WAS HORRIBLE.
While I like shows that are tours of private or public gardens, the only show I've seen recently (that might even go back a year or more) that is truly a gardening show is Gardening By the Yard. And he cheers me up most days.
Cheryl

The old guy before Crockett was not too media wise but he seemed to have useful info. Perhaps I was a newbie but conveying wisdom in such a manner was like talking with extended family. Worth watching him too bad I was out trying to extend my gene line at the time. I'd like to see these PBS shows on DVD but alas I must settle for "Hot Fuzz".
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

I mentioned the Victory Garden book to one of my neighbors recently. She said "But that book's so old".
tap tap tap.....
Similar: My son told me that a girl in his dorm ordered some clothing for herself from LLBean or some place like that. Several kids were chillaxin' in the lounge with her when she opened the package. She had ordered gift wrapping for the item. She said she wanted it to be a surprise.
On 9/30/07 5:25 PM, in article ----- snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net,

Michigan - two old rosarians with all sorts of interesting info. Loved watching it - never for one second did I believe they did all the work - like burying the canes for the winter.
BTW - I googled Hot Fuzz. Another case of the BBC exporting their worst bits of TV and the US lapping it up?

I died laughing at that...it was perfect for my mood that night:)
Seahag
On 10/2/07 10:28 AM, in article IAsMi.4084$PV1.4022@trndny08, "Seahag"

For some reason the worse it is, the more the "cognesti" lap it up!

Before Crockett? He was the first. Bob Thompson took over for him when he got sick - he died at 65 :o( Jim was a big chemical advocate at first, but he learned and changed in his latter years. Bob he died of Alzheimer's, which cut his career short. More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Victory_Garden_(TV_series)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Gardening By The Yard is a show that I record every week (just the new episodes). For those of you that don't know GBTY is on HGTV and the new programs are on Saturday at noon (EDT) and they show some of the older episodes on Sunday.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
On 10/1/07 11:24 AM, in article 47011142$0$15916$ snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com,

to earth and you feel like he must do most of his own work.

This reminded me of another interesting cooking show. It's called Cookin' In Brooklyn (Discovery Home channel). Laid back, down to earth host...episodes frequently combine gathering produce from local gardens...and then it's into the kitchen. The host comes off like the anti-Todd English. http://tinyurl.com/2wmxsz

I used to watch Biker Billy.
http://www.bikerbilly.com /
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

On 10/4/07 2:09 PM, in article ----- snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net,

Oh my word - those recipes sound awesome. I might just make the rutebega pie for Thanksgiving. Cheryl
On 10/4/07 12:50 PM, in article

I wonder what killed Crockett. Although I love his book, the guy was always spraying something.
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:05:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Did you try google?
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

What? Follow the advice I throw at everyone else? Are you insane?
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:31:18 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

LOL........perhaps.