today's Victory Garden (PBS) 1/17

did anybody catch today's Victory Garden? I just missed it (just caught the "comedy" about stealing an orange). I thought it was supposed to be about greenhouses (the website

has a transcript on terrariums, though ... is that what aired?). I'm wondering if anything useful was said, or if it was just a 'come buy this neat product' segment. '

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Salty Thumb expounded:

The first part was about restored greenhouses, kinda interesting, then they went to Tower Hill and talked about terrariums, but not thoroughly.

Reply to
Ann

That's a repeat. I stopped watching - the guy is such a drag; that laugh is awful! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

I hadn't seen it, but I know what you mean about that guy, he drives me crazy.

Reply to
Ann

Ann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for the info, Ann. I don't really like either of them, Michael Weishan (host) or the English dude (they guy that gets all the new electro gizmos). They're like two kids in a candy store ... a little too enthusiastic and not serious enough. And, just once I'd like to see Weishan in the cooking segment say, "man that's worst **** I've ever tasted" Kip Vickers seems to have the greenest thumb on the show, but he seems a little too serious and not enthusiatic enough to get a lot of people to watch.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Remember the hosta segment - I know him from the New England daylily group. He said that MW is first class jerk and the crew had no clue.

I've met Kip once or twice. Nice guy, but way too serious.

I've come to miss Maid Marion's cooking segments; I like the idea of the visiting chefs but keep MW off the set.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Do you have Marian Morash's "The Victory Garden Cookbook"? It's a wonderful reference for veg cooking ('though not vegetarian) with lotsa color pictures and both basic hints&tips and good recipes. First published in '82, but not out of fashion today.

Reply to
Frogleg

I've thought about getting a copy; most of the recipes sounded good. Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

It has become a "lifestyle" show like all the fluff on HGTV.

Reply to
Vox Humana

But WHO's lifestyle!

Kip Anderson is ok, but has about as much personality on screen as a rock! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

It's for people who live their lives by proxy though the likes of Martha Stewart and Emeril. The viewers don't actually sew, cook or garden, they just like to look. So, in that respect, these shows don't have to reflect a specific person's lifestyle nor do they have to impart facts or be accurate. You can watch it and fantasize about how nice it would be to have tea in your restored Victorian Lord and Bernham greenhouse. If the plants don't grow in your zone or the recipe is faulty, it doesn't matter. It's sad but true.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:BC2FFD8B.2B3DE% snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net:

What happened in the hosta segment? I think I've only seen the first six episodes. I'm not even sure if it's the still the first season with new host or if it's up to the second.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Oh the segment looks nice enough on TV, but the hosta guy (Steve Greene) said the entire production team had no clue and were terrible to work with.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

The World Health Organization has a lifestyle?

Perhaps you meant "But whose lifestyle?"

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

I humbly accept the correction! LOL! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak