Papyrus

I have long been in love with the looks of this plant. Am thinking about either buying a few or growing them from seed. But I hesitate because all the research I have done emphasizes boggy ground or other references to watery environment.
Would there be any way to grow papyrus in a So. Calif coastal garden which doesn't get much rain even in "winter".
IOW, would I have to create a special water environment for the plants? Would it take too much hassle/water/worry?
I think several regulars live in more or less similar climates. Would value your opinions.
HB
On 8/2/12 6:25 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Cyperus papyrus is hardy in your area west of the San Diego Freeway (I-405); east of the I-405, it might not survive occasional winter night frosts. It does not require a bog or pond, but it is indeed a very thirsty plant. It requires at least rich soil that is always moist to the point of almost being wet. It will grow to 6-10 ft.
Some other species of Cyperus require actual submersion of potted plants in water.
All of the above is from Sunset's "Western Garden Book". Anyone who is in or west of the Rocky Mountains and is serious about gardening should have a copy.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Hmmm...I do have the new one. You'd think I would consult it!
We don't get frost, unlike the other side of the mountain. Thanks!
HB
HB

In article

Brilliant, a water loving plant in arid Southern California.
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

Higgs Boson;965939 Wrote: > I have long been in love with the looks of this plant. Am thinking

Papyrus grass is easy to grow. It prefers full sun but can also be raised in partial shade. Papyrus is usually planted by rhizomes in moist, fertile soil in pots and then submerged in an aquatic environment. It can also be planted directly into 3 feet of muddy substrate to hold the heavy stems upright. The plant needs to be kept moist if not submerged. Papyrus seeds do not readily germinate and can take a month or more to sprout. Even in their native conditions, the plant does not easily spread by seed.
Extra little *'plant care' (http://tinyurl.com/7ko3e7v )* is needed to thrive provided it is kept moist. Pruning is not necessary except to remove errant or broken stems. You can give it a balanced fertilizer in spring to support the growth of the huge stems. Papyrus grass has no damaging pests or diseases except rust fungus which will discolor the stems and foliage. In the correct zones with light and moist conditions, care of papyrus plant is easy for even a novice gardener.
--
allen73