Paleo diet cartoon

Page 2 of 2

The Glutamate Association has done several studies showing that MSG is benign. How do they do it? First, to be in the study you are interviewed by phone. They ask if you are sensitive to MSG. If you respond yes, you are excluded. Then in the study they use aspartame as the control beverage. Aspartame is also an excitotoxin. They results are 15% of the MSG group and 15% of the control group get a reaction. Ergo, there is no reason to avoid MSG.
On 08/12/2014 01:36 AM, Don Wiss wrote:

Hi Don,
Wonder of Wonders! Apply enough money and you can make that study say ANYTHING you want. I have seen the conclusions to some of those studies. I scratched my head in bewilderment -- never believed a word. This does explain a lot.
Stay the hell away from Kentucky Fried Chicken. They coat everything in Glutamic Acid (MSG and all their liar's synonyms, such as Yeast Extract), even their vegetables. El Polio Loco does not.
Funny about MSG, it give me a headache about 12 hours after I consume it (don't worry, I don't anymore). What me? Couldn't have been my stuff. That was twelve hour ago.
Trader Joe's is a HUGE hypocrite on this front. A lot of their prepared stuff is full of MSG, under various Liar's names such as Yeast Extract and Torula Yeast. Trader Joe's has a policy not to use MSG. But, they are fine with all the other names for it.
Torula Yeast is a waste product from paper mills! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torula
One lady I knew who shopped at Trader Joe's said that their canned soups gave her parents headaches the next day. She was really pissed when I showed her the Yeast Extract on the label and explained it was Liar's MSG. Trader Joe's wasn't suppose to use MSG. hahahahaha. Liars.
And make your own broth. Never buy it!
I have been show several very suspect studies on the Inuits where adding carbs helps them. Oh my the lengths some will go to.
Just out of curiosity, have you noticed that your cooking is a lot like Grandma's? You cook up a lot of real food at once, then freeze a lot of it, then use it during the week. Sort of like fast food, only it is actually food.
-T
Can you get organic beef bones for broth from your co-op? I can't get any out here. I make a killer chicken broth.

I was at the coop. I found the duck eggs. There was only one box. There were six large eggs that sell for $7.03. It states they are pond raised.
I did not buy them. I will wait until my chicken egg inventory is a little lower. So next week.
On 08/12/2014 09:18 AM, Don Wiss wrote:

Hi Don,
$7.03 for six. Yikes! I can see where that would be a problem. I pay $3.50 for 12 for local organic free range eggs. This variety thing can get expensive!
-T
On 08/12/2014 10:27 AM, Todd wrote:

Couldn't find those $8/lb wild shrimp at Traders Joe's. Rats!

Or you can be like T. Colin Campbell. And simply conclude what you want, and ignore that the data doesn't support your conclusions. All you have to do is to make the assumption that few readers have the ability to actually analyze your data. But Denise Minger did:
http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

I was aware of Yeast Extract. Never heard of Torula Yeast. But I do not buy anything that lists more than a single ingredient. Except my tuna fish is tuna and water. Sardines are fish and olive oil. And I buy some Nantucket spice mixes that have many pure spices.
What I have had to point out to my mother is "No MSG Added" ALWAYS means that the product has MSG. Otherwise they would say No MSG. It wasn't added. It was formed as part of the production process.

I only buy from them frozen fruit and frozen wild shrimp. The wild RED shrimp is now in stock for $8.99/lb (which is more like 18 oz). I encourage everybody to stock up their freezer with this. It is not available all year round.

One grandma didn't cook. She had help. The other also had help, but in later years did cook. I don't remember what it was like.

I don't freeze up much of my own. Except I was freezing applesauce. But I plan to stop. It is mostly fructose. And I do cook up butternut squashes in the Fall and freeze portions. Then simple to use them as part of a meal. I do have some cooked lamb in the freezer, but only as my kitchen is being renovated and I don't have an oven in my temporary kitchen.

By organic, I presume you mean grass-fed. Yes, but the price is too high. Considering it is a by product, the price should be low. I don't recall the price now. I can check tomorrow, as I will be picking up a special order then.
I have bought beef bone broth as shown on my http://paleofoodmall.com/ page.
Don. Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
On 08/12/2014 12:01 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

It is in Trader Joe's battered halibut. (Don't eat battered anything any more. Except when I make my own grain free stuff.)

I make a point of cooking from scratch as much as possible. Whatever I buy, I make sure nothing comes from a test tube. Everything has to be real food.

Absolutely!
Here is web site that goes into the 99 other names for MSG: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html
Our labeling laws really suck. Another one to be careful of is super glucose or as they like to call it: maltodextrin. It has a glycemix index of 110, 10 points higher than glucose. It explodes into glucose the instant it hits your tongue. And guess what? The labeling law are such they don't have to list it as a carb. Liars.

Great tip! Thank you. Putting it on the shopping list now.
Farm raised shrimp is so gross. Fed Chicken poop!

I always presume grass-fed may not be organic, but that organic is grass fed. Occasionally, you get lucky and find someone who is trying to get organic certified or is following it anyway and can't afford to certify: then the prices are a lot cheaper.
When did bones get so stinkin' expensive anyway!

Do you know how to make it on your own? Real broth is a treat and a half. Plus Grok ate marrow. Lots of stuff in broth that humans need to live. Plus it is real comfort food!
-T

I was at the coop. Beef and pork bones are $3.46/lb. They are in the frozen case. Now the coop buys several whole cows a week. That is a lot of bones. At that price they can't be selling very many bones. Though I would expect them to be the bones with the most marrow.

there's a funny cartoon about it in the new New Yorker cartoon Web site. Third cartoon.

That's weird, i use ghostery and i can see it.
?-)
On 08/15/2014 02:56 AM, josephkk wrote:

Could be my combination of Ad Block Plus and Ghostrey.

Were you planning on planting those shrimp?
Otherwise, why the fuck are you continuing your "look, I have the money to shop at Trader Joes" theater here, in a gardening group?
--
Drew Lawson So risk all or don't risk anything
You can lose all the same

there's a funny cartoon about it in the new New Yorker cartoon Web site. Third cartoon.

Possibly but not likely. I normally install NoScript, AdBlock+ and Ghostery as soon as i setup a machine. There may be something else going on.
?-)