P. Somniferum

Can anyone tell me is this is Papaver Somniferum:

in advance for the help.

Reply to
jody

No~~ looks very similar to P. oriantale ~~ a perennial. P. somniferum is an annual. Best Wishes Brian.

Reply to
Brian

papaver Somniferum's are identified by their lettice like silvery blue/green color, and single, double or shaggy "peony" like flowers. When nicked, white sap comes from the pods, and these are opium poppies. Your picture is indeed the orange oriental poppy that has ferny, clump like leaves and large, paper mache like flowers with blue black centers and stamen. The pod you have left has thousands of tiny little seeds that will eventually grow into more little plantlets if allowed to ripen and become viable. The same thing on the Papaver Somniferum, but these once they become ripe and harden can be used on muffins or rolls. Bread seed poppies they're called sometimes. Once they fall from the pods, they need stratification thru winter and will come up by the hundreds. Beautiful flowers. All sorts of shades of reds, pinks, white, no blues or purples,

I have one magnificent papaver somniferum that returned for me and it's a singular flowered kind with a blue center. I hope for the peony type like my grandmammy grew for over 68 years. madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Ah, but there ARE purples - a pale lavender form is very common - most of the seedlings that spring up in my garden seem to be this pale mauve shade. There is also a named form, 'Lauren's Grape', developed by noted Colorado plantswoman Lauren Springer, and another deep burgundy-maroon form sometmes labled as 'black' or sold under the name 'Midnight'.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Reply to
madgardener

Looks like the common corn poppy (Papaver rhoeas) to me, not somniferum and not any of the several other poppies that contain narcotic substances. Corn poppies are the only ones that I have had any luck with here in Eastern North Carolina. They volunteer all over the place on my land every spring and bring me great joy. They contrast well with the daisies that bloom at the same time, and when they are spent (about now), the black-eyed susans come in.

Karl W.

Reply to
Karl L. Wuensch