OT: Newsgroup vs Board

"I stand corrected. This is a newsgroup, not a board. There is a serious difference between those two terms and you've helped me to understand where I've gone astray. Thank you so very much...".
IS there a difference, or was poster being heavily sarcastic? I'm very naive.
HB
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

yes, there is a difference, usenet is apart from whatever interfaces provided by gardenbanter, google groups or... often those using such interfaces are uninformed and think they are talking to a website and not to the system behind the website that it is feeding upon.
usenet servers provide newsgroups to readers via a distributed network. they existed before the www came along.
whenever you see a post of someone from google groups or gardenbanter there's a good chance they have no clue at all that they are being parasitized.
songbird

It sounded like attempted sarcasm, made more lame by the ignorance.
Usenet newsgroups are decentralized. There is no owner, no home server, no admin -- all things that bulletin board systems have.
90+% of Usenet users are probably ignorant of that detail, so don't feel naive. In the '90s, countless people thought the groups were part of AOL.
--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
| | you're part of the precipitate. |