OT: Microwave cooking

Page 2 of 2
Boron Elgar wrote:

I am for dispelling rumours and foolishness. Which ones exactly are you going on about?

--
David

Boron Elgar wrote:

Microwave ovens are not used more in commercial kitchens because patrons are not going to pay restaurant prices for reheated TV Dinner type food. Microwave ovens are great at home for reheating your left over meat loaf, mashed, green beans, and gravy... but microwave ovens do a lousey job of cooking those foods from scratch. If you ever attempt to use a microwave oven for cooking something as simple as a burger from scratch you'll instantly know the answer. A restaurant can perhaps get away with reheating a small side of previously prepared onion rings with microwaves but if they served you a microwaved ribeye you'd send it right back, more likely get up and walk out. Very few restaurants use microwave ovens for actual cooking... a Tex Mex fast food joint might use a microwave to reheat frozen burritos. And even for reheating restaurants have their regular ovens on all the time... even for hot water one of the very first things a restaurant does when they open their doors is to put up several large pots of water to simmer all day... after the doors close that hot water is used for clean up.
songbird wrote:

Microwaves do an excellent job of cooking greasy foods like breakfast sausage and bacon, they're perfect for melting butter... I hate microwave popcorn because of all its artificials and chemicals, plus it's expensive, so I make a huge bowl of air popped and drizzle real butter over that's melted with the microwave in a Pyrex cup. Actually my ancient Wear-Ever Popcorn Pumper (I have it some 50 years) is more than twice as fast as microwave popcorn, it'll fill my gallon bowl in about two minutes, and ordinary bulk popping corn is cheaper than songbirdseed, and pops as good or better than the expensive name brands. I transfer it into zip-locs with a piece of citrus peel to keep it properly humidified and keep it in my freezer (frozen corn pops larger and fluffier), when corn doesn't pop it's because it's dried out. When you buy the name brand popping corn you are paying more for the packaging than the corn, that Redelbacker jar costs more than the corn, and it's exactly the same popping corn as bulk.

I think most people do that... I've been microwaving bowls of chili for the last three days, this morning I decided to froze the rest in pint containers. Filled my favorite 8 qt pot, the Voluptuous PIAZZA:
http://i59.tinypic.com/fvcrc2.jpg

My GE under cabinet model has been working every day for the past 35 years, I'll guess it runs on average about 1 hour a day... I wish it would die so I'd have a reason to buy one a bit larger... I have the bracket for mounting it under a cabinet but I never have, I prefer it sitting directly on the countertop, less chance of an accident.

There are far more posts about gardening at RFC than there are here, and more informative.
On Saturday, December 6, 2014 10:31:03 AM UTC-8, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

cooking.

ocess. (He was brought up in a rural setting in the Veneto where micros wer e unknown; he strongly prefers eating fresh food only; does not like to reh eat, et.

n.

and possibly his confirmation bias..?)

that would overwhelm kitchen resources. But any inherent reason?

Thanks to all for comments. Like most threads, this one swerved into vario us paths, often projections by posters about what I know, what I like/eat, how MWs function, and the usual few gratuitous snarkisms, suggesting I'm de tached from reality.
As a gentle reminder, I was not seeking info on use/science of MWs which I have studied. I was bouncing an outside professional opinion off the NG re: *taste* of food prepared in MW. The "outside opinion" source may be emoti onal rather than scientific; I don't propose to put him on trial.
I must have a rather dull palate, because MW cooking doesn't offend me tast e-wise. Well,even *I* can tell a baked in the oven potato from one basical ly steamed in the MW, but if I'm a hurry, which I often am, I just go with the MW.
Pax vobiscum.
HB
On 8/12/2014 1:51 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

buds...(snip)

What a waste of our time!
On 12/07/2014 08:07 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:

Not seeing it as a problem. She is just talking with her friends. And no one is forcing anyone to read anything.
On Monday, December 8, 2014 10:29:27 AM UTC-8, Todd wrote:

Fran has a thingie about me dating back some time. Doesn't bother me; I learn from all posts,l whether positive or negative.
But thanks for kind words.
HB
for some time back. It doesn't bother me. I learn from all opinions, whether positive or negative.
Thanks for understanding thoughts,
On Sunday, December 7, 2014 8:07:20 PM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:

Send me the bill.
HB
On 12/07/2014 06:51 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Kind of depends on if you are original cooking or reheating.
Think of cooking a steak. On the stove, you sear both side to seal in the juices. The browning adds to the flavor. (You can also make a great cream gravy from the browning left on the pan.) Can't do that with a nuker.
Basically, a nuker is great for wet stuff. Anything were sealing in juices in not an issue. Vegetables for example. And browning does not add to the flavor.
I often use my nuker to prepare ingredients that the final phase is to cook in a pan. Melting butter for instance
On 12/07/2014 06:51 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Hi Higgs,
The give away is the hard burned spots.
Try this. Nuke up some broccoli with butter and maybe a bit of real chicken broth (not the store bought broth, that is mainly chemicals).
Then dice up some potatoes (be careful, potatoes contribute to T2 Diabetes), nuke up with some butter and rosemary. The dicing makes for more even cooking.
Combine. Sea salt to taste. A quick yummy meal.
-T
On Monday, December 8, 2014 10:28:07 AM UTC-8, Todd wrote:

(wipes drool from screen...)
HB
On 12/08/2014 03:40 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

:-)
On 12/08/2014 03:40 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Hi Higgs,
Don't forget the Rosemary!
A customer of mine grows her own Rosemary. It wipes me out it is so good. She loves to watch me smell the bag she makes up for me. (She grows apples too. She picks the small ones for my wife who is on the same diet as I am.)
All the haha fresh rosemary I get in the store tastes like bland pine needles. Yuk! I live for my customer's Rosemary (love in on my fried chicken and in my chicken broth). I prefer the dried stuff over the store fresh stuff. Garden fresh rules!
Ha! We got back to gardening!
-T
On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:39:19 AM UTC-8, Todd wrote:

I have had a rosemary bush outside the kitchen door forever. As it gets older & scruffier, I can't help wondering whether there's a hint in there for moi. I hope not! <g>
As to get[ting] back to gardening, when did it become a hanging offense to post an OT? All people have to do, as you felicitously pointed out, is not read it. Or filter the perp.
HB
On 12/09/2014 11:57 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Especially since the "eating" is the end part of the "growing"!
I know another newsgroup that should be alive and well, but no one posts to it anymore. There is an enforcer on it that makes sure everyone stay on topic, except for her. It effectively removed the friendship aspect of the group and the group died.