OT: I NEED THE QUESTIONS TO ASK FOR SOMEONE IF YOU SUSPECT THEY'VE HAD A STROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3
I just got a list of questions to ask if you suspect someone has had a stroke. I remember one of the things was ask them to raise their arms, I know about the slurred speech, the numbness in the legs or such and dizziness, but there were specific questions you could ask the person in question. and to answer the next OBVIOUS question........Miz Mary had a stroke today and I need to tell her yard man (who is kind of simple but better than most) so he'll know. THANKS ((((huge hug)))) madgardener
madgardener wrote:

http://strokeassociation.org
madgardener wrote:

I don't understand what you want at all.
Was a stroke diagnosed medically, or are you trying to determine if she's had one? The best way to find out if she has is to get her to a hospital QUICKLY!
If you need to tell the yard man that she had a stroke:     If she's all right, tell him that she had a stroke but she's all right.     If she's not all right, tell him that she had a stroke and the doctors are waiting for her to get better.
After all, if that is all the information you have, that is all that you CAN tell him.

The power of google compels you. http://www.strokeassociation.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier 20
Stroke is a medical emergency. Know these warning signs of stroke and teach them to others. Every second counts: a.. Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body b.. Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding c.. Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes d.. Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination e.. Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
Google found them for me at http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/stroke.asp
How to Recognize a Stroke
This might be a lifesaver if you can remember the following advice, sent by a nurse, whose husband is a medical doctor.
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. A stroke victim may suffer permanent brain damage when people fail to recognize what's happening. Now, doctors say any bystander can recognize a stroke, simply by asking three questions:
* ask the individual to smile. * ask him or her to raise both arms. * ask the person to speak a simple sentence.
If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 911 immediately, and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher. Researchers are urging the general public to learn to ask these three questions quickly, to someone they suspect of having a stroke. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of a stroke, and prevent permanent brain damage.
NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue. if the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroke. You may want to pass this along.

that's it! (she had ALL the symptoms, dizziness, slurred speech, she fell, numbness in her legs and then her arm.......ALL of them) apparently she was starting to have small TIA's the day before, and yesterday it took them HOURS before she allowed the ambulance to take her to the hospital, her blood pressure was still at 240 over 90 at midnight.....no word yet as to how bad she is even now, and she's in ICU............ there was another one someone sent with that list, of raising their arms. I COULDN'T remember the smile thing. I wanted him to know for up the road (his mama is at risk and he's a bit simple.......but these are easy for him to remember) THANKS!!!! (((((((HUGE MADDIE HUG)))))) maddie

I can't think of a better source of accurate medical information than a gardening newsgroup.

Doug, I apologize, I marked it OT for OFF TOPIC, and I was frantic. I went to nine sites and couldn't find what I was searching for. it was the three questions above this answer............It makes me just not want to bother anyone else on this newsgroup about anything else non topic ever again. it so happens I know there are people of all walks of life and careers and abilities that also garden and come here and I knew I'd get a faster answer.................and like I said, I marked it OT for OFF TOPIC. sheesh. I appreciate my gardening friends. and as you see, I got great information and the right answer to boot.
maddie
madgardener wrote:

Perhaps Doug didn't mean it to come off as sarcastic as it sounded. I, too, was surprised--couldn't help picturing someone falling over from a stroke, or some strokelike condition, right in front of you and you came here instead of, like, calling 911? Also amazed you got the right answer! (Which I couldn't get to my gardening question!)
Cori

Your interpretation is exactly right. Is it just me, or does it seem some people cannot distinguish between physical reality and the web?
naaaaaa, I still love you.....it's been a hairy week........still love me??? I hope so, maddie

Yeah, but next time, just dial 911. Time is of the essence when someone has a stroke. Minutes lost can mean much more brain damage.

Doug.... shut the fuck up.
Ingrid

No. You allow it to happen and 3 kids see it. Now, it spreads. How do you think it became acceptable in some circles to tYpE lIKe thIs? Just one album cover.....

Ingrid, I love you...........roflmao

Doug...........I went back and looked at that post. I sometimes type words with one capital and one small (like TEnnessee) because I try to write as fast as my mind is working. I also emphasize expressions by CAPITALIZING words. Now I can understand your aggrivation at me for putting the header into capitals, but I meant to "holler" as I needed information quickly. and the searches were coming up quickly enough (I had Edward standing behind me while I was searching for this stuff.) but JEEZUS KRIST ON A RITZ KRACKER..................you must really have your drawers in a wad or yer just sick and tired of the way that I express myself. If you don't like the way I write, don't read it.
I write the way I talk. and yes..........before you shoot off your mouth, I interrupt people because I'm so fulla ideas and replies. I try really hard to not be so rude, as I was raised a fairly polite Southern woman after all, but I tend to just jump into someones conversation with me and wade thru.
If you think I'm a moron, then yer entitled to yer opinions, and I can respect that, but if you think that calling me names or hinting at my mentality is gonna shut me up, yer wrong. I'm fairly smart for a high school graduate of over 34 years ago, self edumacated on horticulture, and a graduate of the old school morals and character. Life member of Street Smarts USA and still learning after all these 53 years.
What I AM is someone who loves words, loves to communicate and share experiences with gardening, my life and things around me. If you can't stand a few grammer errors or fumble fingers, especially when I am anxious, arthritic or just tired and fulla werds, then please, get off my ass and let it slide. You actually and really believe I'm going to influence some younger person who comes to this newsgroup and posts? I think not.
Now you can kiss my monkey red ass, I'm going out to play in Fairy Holler and do some more clean up before Gloria and her sweet hubby (only the iguana's knows fer shur) come visiting me up here on the ridge after they do some scouting around for abodes.........sheesh, where's ZHAN when I need her zingers????
madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking a most incredible English Mountain that is obviously filled with blooming white dogwoods, in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

First of all, I don't think you're a moron. A careful translation of your writing reveals that. However, you sometimes WRITE like one, which is a disservice to your otherwise excellent brains.
I guess we'll never agree on this issue. Meanwhile, since you think it's OK to mess with the language, I'm gonna play, too. Here are some lovely Cornus kousa I just planted:
http://www.desktopexchange.com/Nature-pictures/Cornfield.jpg
First of all, I don't think you're a moron. A careful translation of your

well I have days of idiocy........I can't help that. (alright, it's a given, you don't think I'm a moron, using the word didn't imply that you meant it literally. if you thought I were a moron, then you'd probably said, "maddie, you're a moron") I also have days where I sit and crank out lots of heart felt words that describe the full moments of magic in my life and gardens and don't get one response even criticism. I've learned not to take it personally. If someone REALLY doesn't like it or thinks it's fair, I'll hear from them eventually. I haven't been to high school in 35 years. I don't follow the rules of English writing very closely. If I ever do get some of my previous writings together and send them off to see if they'll be published, I hope they won't red pencil them too much, because I write like I talk. (kinda like Gahan Wilson paints what he SEES, <EG>)

good for you!!! it's always nice to loosen up yer belt and stoop and have a little crack show.....lol I ain't really pissed at you, but I just can't follow rules that I barely remember. It's enough for me sometimes to put these things into paragraphs as it is. If you were to see my first posts here over 8 (or is it 9 now?) years ago, I used to write "train of thought running offa a track" and it wasn't until Zhan asked me to seperate my stuff into paragraphs that I got at least better at THAT. Hell, I at least run the things thru spell checker, you should see how it throws up and takes a dump when it comes across my slang.............
Here are some lovely Cornus

got some nice Cornelian Cherries to plant. Pictures next year of their blooming would be appreciated. you have my e-mail addy madgardener who never holds grudges, or keeps score and loves EVERYONE (but child molesters and wife beaters)

Numbskull. This is corn:
http://www.ashland-city.k12.oh.us/ahs/classes/hort/2004/may10/woodruff.jpg
Doug Kanterposts:
Numbskull. This is corn.
Now you're calling Maddie a numbskull? Lighten up! Unless you enjoy being an egotistical ignorant son of a bitch.
Don't know who Archie is??
Archy is a cockroach with the soul of a poet, and Mehitabel is an alley cat with a celebrated past -- she claims she was Cleopatra in a previous life. Together, cockroach and cat are the foundation of one of the most engaging collections of light poetry to come out of the twentieth century.
"expression is the need of my soul," declares Archy, who labored as a free-verse poet in an earlier incarnation. At night, alone, he dives furiously on the keys of Don Marquis' typewriter to describe a cockroach's view of the world, rich with cynicism and humor. It's difficult enough to operate the typewriter's return bar to get a fresh line of paper; all of Archy's dispatches are written lowercase, and without punctuation, because he is unable to hit both shift and letter keys to produce a capital letter.