OT: Bessy will become beef soon :(

Page 2 of 3
"FarmI" wrote:

Same as here with some who like to imply they're farmers.

Obviously for you horticulture and botany are not sciences.

Cooking from a book is like paint by numbers is art. Believe it or not the worlds best cooks are totally illiterate... very few of the cooks working in the finast restaurants graduated high school, and most can't read or write a lick. Most highly skilled occupations don't require one know how to read, that's why a skilled carpenter only needs a blueprint to build a house... skilled machinists don't need to know how to read, they build jet engines by refering to a picture. I'd no more want someone cooking my dinner by following a recipe than undergo surgery by someone refering to an instruction manual. You're no more a farmer than a burger flipper is a cook. It's easy to ascertain from reading Farm1's posts that he barely possesses the literacy level of a 4th grader, and even though he is a functional illiterate he has demonstrated no innate talents whatsoever.
Great cooks are born with the talent, it cannot be learned. Liberace was not only one of the world's most renowned pianists he was also a very accomplished cook, both innate talents, achieved both with no formal education. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberace
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Any way and any topic to disagree over is good for you. You obviously know that "rocket science" in popular culture stands for things too complex and difficult for the ordinary person to deal with but for the sake of having a fight you must try to take it literally. Groan.

More provocative nonsense. Do you ever get tired of making stuff up just to be able to disagree?
I'd no more want someone cooking my dinner by following a

And once again you miss the point. The advice was how to get started not how to become a top chef.
You're no more a farmer than a burger flipper is a cook. It's

More accumulated insults for no reason.

At birth the Great Chef in The Sky reaches down and touches each one with greatness like a larval bee that is given royal jelly. Yes they spring forth from their mothers fully formed requiring no further experience or knowledge. In this modern era they only go through apprenticeships and years at tertiary education as a pretence. Throughout history none of them ever studied under more experienced chefs nor read anything but Micky Mouse strips in the Sunday papers.
And do notice that Nad R just wants to learn to cook, he says nothing about becoming the next Escoffier.
Liberace

Entirely irrelevant.
Are you worried that if you are civil and reasonable that you will be ignored? Inventing insults for strangers sure is a strange way to get noticed.

My own views regarding the world is "nothing is REALLY simple". Gardening, Cooking and Computers has it's simplicity and it's complexity. one does not need a college degree for any of these areas. But life could be much greater If one digs a little deeper by reading a book or taking a class, life could improve greatly.
My gardening years ago was terrible, many of my trees died, plants with diseases, did I know why... No. However I did have successes, but could not replicate them and did not really know why. I have read many books on gardening and that was helpful, but still things did not go well as I hoped. My gardening skills took off after taking a few classes on gardening.
Books alone does not always help. It is the combination of hardware and software is where knowledge is improved. The gardeners has its tools (hardware) and software(seeds and plants). Cooking also has tools (Oven) and software (Ingredients).
My cooking and canning is like my gardening years ago... blah, I may take a local class for cooking someday, Not be the a Top Chef. Like gardening to improve the quality of life.
I am a kid in a candy store of life. I want to sample everything: Chess club (expert), Electronics (Associate Degree), Computer Programming (Masters Degree), Amateur Radio (General Class), Guitar Lessons (No talent, was bad), Ballroom Dancing (Arthur Murray and other places 4 years of fun), Karate Lessons, Gardening (Master Gardening Volunteer Program) and possibly cooking lessons may be in the future. My neighbors help provide knowledge for my hobby farm.
Did I become the best in anything... No. It was for improvement of my personal life.

As you say, it's not just books. You have to actually cook and so get the experience in order to know what works and what doesn't.

:-)) Good reason for doing all of those things.
Nad R wrote: ...

the unfortunate thing about experience is that it takes time and then kills all it's pupils.

books are a good starting point, but in the end actual experience of getting your hands in the dirt, observing the plants, bugs, weeds, animals, weather, etc. is what pays off.
first time gardeners freak out over a chewed leaf or a bent stem and have to "DO SOMETHING" about it. seasoned gardeners know that sometimes the best answer is to leave it alone.

i've cooked since i was a kid. i'd probably enjoy teaching someone to cook and thought about offering lessons to beginners. nothing fancy or expensive but to get a person going and comfortable with simple tasks.

good neighbors are wonderful. :) i'm like you, tried a lot of things. i even know how to sew (which is not many guys would admit) and have my own machine. i wanted to learn how to tat sometime, not yet...
i have troubles with formal classes in that most cost $ and my body and learning styles don't do well in them compared to what i can do by using the library and internet.

yep. it is very hard for me to do things with music/guitar, but i like that challenge.
as we say around here, "it's a good life if you don't weaken." :)
songbird

I've been reading Sheldon's posts for at least a decade and he's always been exactly the same. No-one has ever had a good word to say for him or about him.

I'm not here to win any popularity contest, in fact I'd rather not be popular... those most popular have the brownest noses. But if you've been reading me for ten years you learned a lot.
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Brooklyn has some useful tips, I would not write him off. I have learned that strong conservative types have a certain world view. I am a strong liberal type with my views. However, a wide variety of human DNA is a positive thing for the planet. Yen and Yang, balance. I base my life on reason, but I do not always trust my presuppositions. I would much rather have friends that have different views and "tolerant" of each other than those that think alike.

Wish granted.

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message wrote in message

I've learned nothing from any of your posts except that you are a miserable, nasty piece of shit and that your opinion of your own knowledge and abilities far exceeds the reality.
"FraudI" wrote:

Thank you for indicating how much I get under your skin and annoy you. And the only reality is that I'm for real and can and do prove it while all you prove is that you're a Fraud1.
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

LOL. Annoying is soemthing that happens in real life, not some misanthrope on usenet who has been told by everyone who comes into contact with him for as long as I've seen his posts, that he's a total tosspot

I know you have a shed full of stuff, but that just means 'all hat, no cattle'.
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

Well you were well known for pretending you were a real farmer when you posted in misc.rural. From the time that another USian proved that you owned only a few piddly acres you've spewed bile at anyone who really does own a farm. Your obvious envy is transparent, sad, pathetic and downright obvious.

Tell that to the Australian Taxation Office Sheldon. I doubt that that organisation will take any notice of a remote assessment done by a sad old loser living on a few acres in the US of A, and whose only claim to any farming knowledge is that he collects every piece of mechanisation that would really be needed on a real farm of several thousand acres.
It's

Who is this 'he' of whom you write Sheldon? Are you really so dim, drunk or deluded that can repeatedly fail to remember the gender of someone whose posts you've been reading for at least 10 years in at least 2 newsgroups?
It sure takes some talent to show yourself up as being so totally and incredibly stupid.
Well, I picked up bessy from the butcher late afternoon yesterday.
I was wrong in some ways. I got a chuck steak and the fat was very yellow, to my surprise. The butcher said this is normal for even a young Jersey. It is because dairy cows have a much higher beta carotene that gives the cheese and fat a yellow look. The yellow fat in a Jersey was very different from an older cow.
He also said grass fed cows have a lower cholesterol count and tends to taste better. The yellow fat is different than that of older cows. The butcher said allot of his customers are now coming in with grass fed Jersey Cows because they are smaller, good for a small family, tend to be a healthier meat to eat over other types of beef.
Outside of high end steak houses. Bessy was far better than any steak I have gotten from a supermarket.

???? What do you mean by that?
One of the signs that a carcase is from a Dairy cow is the fat shows yellow no matter what age of the animals being killed.

:-)) David and I mentioned that but not everyone is a fan of grass fed. I'm pleased to see that your bucther is a convert.
The yellow fat is different than that of older cows. The

What did he mean by that? Was it to do with marbling?

Glad you enjoyed Bessie. long live the next Bessie.
Dunno about the US, but supermarket chains do not buy high end meat (despite what they keep telling us int heir advertising). I've only ever bought supermarket meat when really pressed for time and unable to get to a butcher. Since I've retired, I have more time and I can't recall the last time I bought any supermarket meat.
Nad R wrote:

Grass fed tastes excellent to me although (I am told) it may not be to the taste of those raised on grain fed beef as the latter is rather bland in comparison. Depending on your tastes you may be in for a treat.
David

'Flabby texture' is how I've heard grain fed meat described.

LOL. Perhaps you should read what he wrote one more time. Is age the only criteria?

No doubt the gain feeding lobby has put out that bit of PR. I know people here who seek out grass fed.
First I am going to use up the

Why didn't you sample her before you put her in the freezer? I know I couldn't have resisted doing so.

I will, on the fourth of July, Independence Day :)

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

I know you have always like to argue Sheldon so I'll explain why I said what I did. We're discussing Bessie. Bessie is 2. In the case of Bessie, which is a dairy cow, then her meat won't be as good as a beef breed of the same age.