Onion Questions

Hi- I planted some red onions this year. They are growing great. A couple of them have buds on the ends, like they are going to flower. Do I let them flower? Do I need to clip the bud?? Please help, this is the first year of planting onions.
either way. People say if you take out the buds the bulbs will grow a little bigger. I have taken out only half the buds this year, just to get an idea of the effect (so far I have always taken them). Perhaps the best reason to take the buds is so you can eat them (they taste like green onions, of course). They go everywhere (salads, pasta, omelets, stews) and rarely go to waste at my place.