non-ornamental crabapple

we're building a barn, which unfortunately has to be located where my one & only crabapple tree was (it's already cut down). it was a decent, but small-fruited, edible crabapple. i'd like to replace it with another edible crab, but with slightly larger fruit, more like small apple size. anyone know of variety name (s) or source for this type? i know they exist somewhere. my grandmother had one in southwestern NY. i'm in zone 5b, NH. lee <who will check with my aunt to see if that tree still exists & if i can get some grafts, too>
Very good question. They may have them here. The guy that owns this place has studied with me does know his plants well. http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us /
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

well, Potsdam has a similar climate. thank you. lee

http://clark.wsu.edu/volunteer/mg/gm_tips/Crabapple2.html

thanks, Kay. i'll look those up & see if they'll grow in my climate. lee
If you buy bare root trees and plant them correctly you may require staking. Planting deeper to avoid staking is not a good idea. We have a method of staking trees that is acceptable. It is also recommend as a solution in Richard Harris's Arboriculture book. The place in Potsdam won't even use it as a suggestion on their site. So I am not recommending them any more.
The trees should be planted at the depth the roots come off the trunk. Here is a picture of bare root planting with CAMB GUARDS http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/camb/project-1.html
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.