non-ornamental crabapple

we're building a barn, which unfortunately has to be located where my one & only crabapple tree was (it's already cut down). it was a decent, but small-fruited, edible crabapple. i'd like to replace it with another edible crab, but with slightly larger fruit, more like small apple size. anyone know of variety name (s) or source for this type? i know they exist somewhere. my grandmother had one in southwestern NY. i'm in zone 5b, NH. lee

Reply to
enigma

Very good question. They may have them here. The guy that owns this place has studied with me does know his plants well.

symplastless

Kay Lancaster

"symplastless" wrote in news:YMCdnfPAEuI_RcnanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
enigma

Kay Lancaster wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hub.fern.com:

climate. lee

Reply to
enigma

If you buy bare root trees and plant them correctly you may require staking. Planting deeper to avoid staking is not a good idea. We have a method of staking trees that is acceptable. It is also recommend as a solution in Richard Harris's Arboriculture book. The place in Potsdam won't even use it as a suggestion on their site. So I am not recommending them any more.

The trees should be planted at the depth the roots come off the trunk. Here is a picture of bare root planting with CAMB GUARDS

symplastless