Ornamental Crabapple Tree Pruning

I have a beautiful flowering crabapple tree that needs pruning. I've seen that its branching habit is one tree branch (or stem) always branches into two or three new branches.

Does anyone know the proper place to make the pruning cut; for example, just below the point where the branching occurs or somewhere else? Or should I just ignore pruning in a precise spot, but prune to give the tree the best all around shape (you know: a little cut here, a big cut there, and not be concerned about where the branching occured?). Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Schott

Most importantly - be sure to learn where to make the actual cut when trimming a branch off completely. The 'branch-bark ridge' is where the bark tissues of the trunk and branch meet and swell as they accommodate each other. NEVER cut into (or behind) this structure - always leave it intact.

Reply to
Mike LaMana