Newbie needs leyland advice

Had 5 12' Leylands planted last spring. Now that winter is over, it seems that they are a bit yellow/brown (they seemed fine during the winter). Is this normal? And also, what should we do now as far as fertilizing, pruning..etc....any recommendations?

Reply to
Mike

Trees don't usually need fertilizing. Don't prune them. I don't know about the color, could be that the got dehydrated by the wind. Was it wet during the winter? If not did you water them?

Reply to
Travis

Did you get any ice this winter? Is the browning on the south side? How close are they? What was the soil like when planted? Are they planted level or lower or slightly raised? Are they in a low area with poor drainage? They don't like wet feet....Did you get a warranty? Do you see any bagworms yet? Why 12'...Thats kinda big to transplant don't you think? Leylands grow 15' in 5 years from cuttings... A 3 gal leyland is usually 3' tall at Home Depot or Lowes and only costs $11.75, a 7 gal. is 5' tall and $29.00 and has a 1 year warranty...They grow really fast..They have a better chance at acclimating than a 12' tall anything, especially something that has the "invasive" growth rate as a Leyland......

Reply to
KCnRichmond