Newbie needs advice with roundover bit

x-no-archive:yes

I have just completed my cutting board. My book says to ro over it with a "roundover" bit. I think I have one. How is the best way to do this and set it up on a router table?

Also, when I ran the cutting board through the planer I got a little snip on one side. It does not look too bad but is there a way to make this look better? Sanding maybe?

Reply to
stryped

Snipe is caused by the outfeed side of the fence not being exactly flat against the cutting board as you pass it by the roundover bit. To prevent this, you need a shim along the outfeed side equivalent to the thickness of the amount of wood you're removing with the roundover bit. Or if both sides of the router fence are independently adjustable, then run the cutting board a few inches past the roundover bit, adjust the outfeed side of the fence so it is flush with the part of the board that has passed by the router bit, then continue pushing the rest of the cutting board past the bit.

Reply to
Upscale

I "think" he's talking about snipe coming out of the planer.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

  1. Insert bit into router

  1. Adjust protrusion of bit beyond base plate to give desired cut

  2. Turn work piece upside down

  1. Move ends of workpiece along router bearing or fence (right to left)

  2. Repeat #4 with work piece sides.
Reply to
dadiOH

You're right, I didn't see that. I read 'roundover bit' and missed the rest.

Reply to
Upscale

No problem. Sometimes it happens! :-)!!! But coming from the source you know?????

Reply to
Tim Taylor

He missed step 2A

Run a scrap piece across the bit to check for proper adjustment.

If unsure, keep the bit low and bring it up a little at a time until you get exactly what you want.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

So, what does all this have to do with planer snipe?

Reply to
CW

Step 2B. Do crossgrain cuts first.

Reply to
CW

If you'd bothered to read further, you'd have seen that I admitted to not reading about the use of the planer.

Looks like both of us need to read a little more carefully before responding.

Reply to
Upscale

So how long should I wait to reply? A week? A year? Maybe if I wait long enough, you you will figure it out on your own? No, I'm not the one with the reading problem.

Reply to
CW

I guess I was wrong about your having reading problem. It's quite obvious you have an arrogance problem.

Reply to
Upscale

No problem at all.

Reply to
CW

That was step #4.

Reply to
dadiOH

Considering the question source, I was keeping it simple. Hell, he'd be happy just to get *any* cut :)

Reply to
dadiOH