NEW GARDEN

Have any readers got any tips on the secret of laying a new lawn from seed and not buying old turf that stinks of sheep. comments appreciated

Reply to
David M.

Select the highest quality grass seed that grows best in your region and conditions. Plant at the best time of year. Test your soil and add the appropriate amendments. Remove rocks and stones. Use more seed than recommended. Use a starter fertilizer at the time you plant the seed. Protect the seed with straw and keep the soil moist.

Reply to
Phisherman

Don't buy sod from a shepherd.

Reply to
Vox Humana

You must understand the grass you plant. I will assume that you are in a temperate climate and can raise the normal rye, fescue and blue grasses. The blue grasses are heavy feeders (need a lot of fertilizer) and are pH sensitive. Fescues are good in shade and play areas. Perennial ryes are tough grass that will quickly come fill in. Fescues and ryes will do well in most soils and do not need a lot of fertilizer.

Grasses are cold weather plants and do best in the fall. The early spring is good also so do wait. I just bought some perennial rye and mixed fescues for my yard. The bags had good planting instructions. I like to cover the planted area with straw to help it get established.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Big Error.

So do NOT wait. Now is a good time to plant grass.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

snipped-for-privacy@ukgateway.net (David M.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

have a contingency planin place in case something (weedy) comes up that you didn't want to grow. esp. in the case of bargain basement seed.

Reply to
Salty Thumb