need help with shallots

Hi All,
I was thinking of growing shallots this year:
http://www.rareseeds.com/zebrune-shallot-onion/
Is this a good variety? (I like the cross garlic onion taste.)
Questions:
1) when do I plant them? (Three of my garlic bulbs planted last fall just resprouted.) We are still having 30 to 34 degree nights. (Northern Nevada).
2) Do I clip off the flowers, as I would with garlic?
3) Do I harvest them when the leaves start to brown as I would with garlic?
Many thanks, -T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 3/20/2014 1:11 PM, Todd wrote:

One autumn, I bought shallots in the produce section of a local supermarket. They did quite well as plants, but they never developed the bulbs. Instead, they always resembled scallions (green onions) in appearance.
--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
On 03/20/2014 05:19 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

I was wondering about planting eating ones. The seeds I linked seem awfully cheap.
Did you eat the leaves?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 3/20/2014 7:22 PM, Todd wrote:

Yes, we used the leaves in place of chives.
--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.

In Ohio I plant bulbs in the fall. I haven't had much luck with the French varieties. The Dutch have done very well. I've planted from seed which is done in spring. The seed grown ones are very nice and handy in shape.
On 03/22/2014 05:33 PM, Bobo wrote:

Thank you!
Do you harvest when the first frost comes or when the tops start to brown, like you would with garlic?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 03/22/2014 11:50 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have been puttering around on the Internet looking for things. I find that a conversation teaches me a lot more than a document. Just the way I learn perhaps.

Plant Shallot The revision #13035771 of the page named "Plant Shallot" does not exist.
Rats!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:52:25 AM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

That's weird! I got the same message just now, but yesterday found the site with graphics.
Sorry about the inconvenience. Lots of other sites.
HB

On 03/23/2014 01:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

No problem :-)
On 03/22/2014 05:33 PM, Bobo wrote:

Hi Bobo,
Thank you!
What do you think of these. Says it tastes like mild garlic and their Dutch/Holland.
http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/shallots/shallots-holland-red-prod000891.html?omn2pd=sh&catId What do they mean when they say "1 bag (10 sets)"? Does this mean you get 10 plants per bag? Kinda of expensive?
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 03/23/2014 01:08 AM, Todd wrote:

Found this nice article: http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/shallots/growing-shallots-article10714.html
"Ten shallot sets are sold in an order, each set has two cloves."
And "The plants are ready to harvest when the leaves turn brown. Dig them up, leaves and, all using a pitchfork if necessary. Each clove should yield 10 to 20 shallots."
So, like garlic.
-T
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Todd wrote:

Sounds like you want someone to plant shallots for you.

There are plenty of web sites but you need the correct nomenclature, search engines do not like verbosity, search: <growing shallots>. Here: http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/shallots/growing-shallots-article10714.html At the Burpee web site there's a searchable library with information about most every product they sell, especially vegetables. More: http://www.ask.com/web?am=phrase&q=growing+shallots&an=google_s&askid c79599-94ae-4dee-ac92-a3fe27c2d7f2-0-us_gsp&kv=sdb&gc=0&dqi=growing+shallots&qsrc9&ad=semD&o723&l=sem&ampclid=&af=&_=1 About as close as it gets to having someone plant shallots for you: http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=growing+shallots&vu33o363PrY&qsrcG2
On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:23:26 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Geeze but yoose two are slobs... clean up your posts... one can only imagine the stinkin' fetid shitholes yoose live in.