need help with shallots

Hi All,

I was thinking of growing shallots this year:

Is this a good variety? (I like the cross garlic onion taste.)

Questions:

1) when do I plant them? (Three of my garlic bulbs planted last fall just resprouted.) We are still having 30 to 34 degree nights. (Northern Nevada).

2) Do I clip off the flowers, as I would with garlic?

3) Do I harvest them when the leaves start to brown as I would with garlic?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

One autumn, I bought shallots in the produce section of a local supermarket. They did quite well as plants, but they never developed the bulbs. Instead, they always resembled scallions (green onions) in appearance.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I was wondering about planting eating ones. The seeds I linked seem awfully cheap.

Did you eat the leaves?

Reply to
Todd

Yes, we used the leaves in place of chives.

Reply to
David E. Ross

In Ohio I plant bulbs in the fall. I haven't had much luck with the French varieties. The Dutch have done very well. I've planted from seed which is done in spring. The seed grown ones are very nice and handy in shape.

Reply to
Bobo

Thank you!

Do you harvest when the first frost comes or when the tops start to brown, like you would with garlic?

Reply to
Todd

There are quantities of helpful Web sites for growing shallots or most any other food crop. Many gardeners confronted with a new situation hit the Internet first, then go to a NG for practical feedback.

You can use naive language, like "how to grow shallots" and narrow results by area. I just did a search using "how to grow shallots in Zone 8" and another one w/o the zone #.

Here's one site:

Got me interested!

Good luck!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I have been puttering around on the Internet looking for things. I find that a conversation teaches me a lot more than a document. Just the way I learn perhaps.

Plant Shallot The revision #13035771 of the page named "Plant Shallot" does not exist.

Rats!

Reply to
Todd

Hi Bobo,

Thank you!

What do you think of these. Says it tastes like mild garlic and their Dutch/Holland.

What do they mean when they say "1 bag (10 sets)"? Does this mean you get 10 plants per bag? Kinda of expensive?

-T

Reply to
Todd

Found this nice article:

"Ten shallot sets are sold in an order, each set has two cloves."

And "The plants are ready to harvest when the leaves turn brown. Dig them up, leaves and, all using a pitchfork if necessary. Each clove should yield 10 to 20 shallots."

So, like garlic.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Sounds like you want someone to plant shallots for you.

There are plenty of web sites but you need the correct nomenclature, search engines do not like verbosity, search: . Here:

At the Burpee web site there's a searchable library with information about most every product they sell, especially vegetables. More:
About as close as it gets to having someone plant shallots for you:

Brooklyn1

That's weird! I got the same message just now, but yesterday found the site with graphics.

Sorry about the inconvenience. Lots of other sites.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Geeze but yoose two are slobs... clean up your posts... one can only imagine the stinkin' fetid shitholes yoose live in.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

No problem :-)

Reply to