Need advise on Hinoki Cypress

I know little about this plant except that it grows slowly. Will this Hinoki Cypress (nana gracilis) recover? The contractor working on installing sprinkler system damaged the plant by rubbing its foliage. The loss of foliage is apparent on the rear right side, and there are few broken branches but the bark remains intact. I received two conflicting reports from two shrub care services. One said it needs replaced, the other said it'll recover nicely:
http://community.webshots.com/album/95609775hFDlFC
I think it'll recover with fertilizing in a few years.... any opinion?
Don't Fertilize. Let the tree recover. -Theo

compromised a bit. Not to worry - I'd leave it alone and it may develop more foliage as time goes by to fill in the bare spot. I wouldn't recommend additional fertilizing to speed it along - that is not the point of fertilizing. Just provide it with great growing conditions - good rich soil, adequate water, good air circulation and mulch well with compost (avoiding touching any woody portion) - and it should respond nicely.
pam - gardengal