Need advice on bald cypress tree

Our both bald cypress tree has problem

They start pop "knees" last year and then roots come up above the ground, now one tree roots are reaching our house, and the other one crossing to next house where they seems to have excess watering problem. I don't think our soil is wet (just enough for the lawn). The only thing I would blame is the clay soil.

These trees were planted when the house was build. I guess this trees are around 10 years old. I need the advice on these tree. Please email to j b i z 1 2 3 AT c o m c a s t DOT n e t . Thanks. Jaimie

Reply to
jaimie

That's what cypress trees do. I don't see a problem...

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

We did not know that (knees) is the nature of the Bald Cypress until this month. This problem cause the whole lawn gets unleveled. When you walk across the lawn, you have to watch where you step to or you trapped by either the knees or the roots. We have very young kids around and grandparents visit quite often. These will pose a threat for them.

These trees are planted on the front yard. As far as I can trace from those knees, each tree roots now covers about 18'x30' lawn and still expending to next house. I don't see the reason that neighbors would like these roots and knees.

If I want these trees removed to somewhere else not close to my house. Any idea how much might cost? I don't want to kill the tree, since there are quite pretty and healthy. What kind of the detail/information I will need to get when I looking an arborist? Thanks in advance.

Jaimie

Reply to
jaimie

If they're not close to utilities, it'll cost you in the neighborhood of $500 to have both cut down. To have both moved (and they may not survive) it'll cost about $5K. And you'll still have the problem with knees wherever you move them. They're planted in small suburban lots because they're fast growing, not because they're suitable to grow there. There just aren't that many trees that are suited to a small suburban lot if you want to factor in possible encroachment on a neighbor. And, most of the fast growing trees like poplar and willow are extremely brittle and short lived. Some maples are OK, but all will have surface roots that are a problem for lawnophiles. Oak trees are nice, but slow growing and the ultimate size will be as big as your lot. Quercus bicolor (swamp oak) nd quercus phellos (willow oak) are two of the faster growing ones that still have nice strong wood. Smaller trees like crabapples are OK for decorative purposes but don't really provide much shade, and you have to be careful to choose disease resistant cultivars. Crepe myrtles are good if you're in zones 7+ and actually let them become the trees they're intended to be rather than crepe murder them every year by pollarding them.

Reply to
Sunflower

I'd love to have cypress trees and a natural landscape in my yard - cypress are gorgeous trees! But...the knees would be a problem in a space you want to use. IF you have sufficient room and the roots won't reach the house, could let the area revert to natural plants. If you need to remove the trees, sooner is better than later, as it will become more expensive the larger they get. You may have a chance of having a tree mover take the trees - he gets the trees and might be able to sell them to someone else. Best check the local code, and careful about arranging the deal if you consider something like that. They may be a protected tree, or require permit for removal.

I took a quick look at Florida's website for info on cypress. One variety of bald cypress has a spread of 35', which could mean roots spread over 100', depending on variety, conditions, etc. I've stubbed my toes lots of times going for walks in parks :o)

Reply to
Norminn