Cypress tree question

I just had some cypress trees dry out and die on my property. I was told it was a root fungus, but who knows, because two other arborists told me something completely different.

But I got to thinking, these particular trees I once had to water by hand since the sprinklers weren't working for a while. And when I was watering them, it wasn't just at the base, I was also spraying water up into the tree itself, into the bark, etc.

Could it be that this somehow washed away a protective coating or something that caused them to die?

Reply to
The Space Boss

The message from The Space Boss contains these words:

Oh dear.

Undoubtedly. Back in the old times, trees' protective coating aka "bark" could stand up to any amount of rain without getting washed off, but these days God knows who is responsible for applying it..some bunch of monkeys, probably.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Most of your problem may have been troubles in the rhizosphere.

symplastless

I'm not an expert on cypress trees but most of the ones that live down here in Louisiana grow along water courses and get beaucoup water all year around. I would expect that they didn't get enough water where they were.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Oh dear, Janet, We are being naughty today, aren't We?? LOL Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Don't remember that episode.

Reply to
The Space Boss

Ah, a senior moment, undoubtedly. Wish I had thought of it. We do not have garden monkeys.........a shame. Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Not a huge fan, but they were a major influence on the beatles.

Reply to
The Space Boss

Hey, hey we're the Monkees............. I don't remember that they did too many Garden Gigs, but maybe they moonlighted applying defective bark.

re: your question: I don't think anyone asked what kind of Cypress or what location ? How old?

Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca