Mulching in North Carolina

I just put some mulch down covering ground cover plants and day lillies with about 4" of processed wood mulch. Should I have covered them or should I have just applied mulch around the roots leacing the portion above the surface open to the elements?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Bouton

animaux

I am in central North Carolina and always mulch with mini pine bark nuggets. I generally have three inches of mulch around all my plants. Some of the daylilies do go completely dormant and the foliage will disappear during the winter. I do not move the mulch when they go dormant. They are dormant so it does not matter. In spring, the best looking daylilies are the dormants. The evergreens and semi-evergreens have mushy foliage until after the last frost.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Baxter

Bobby,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Hampstead, just north of Wilmington and about a mile from the Intracoastal Waterway. The day lillies have stopped bloooming and the leaves are turning yellow. They are covered with mulch now. I'll probably cut the leaves off int he early spring.

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Reply to
Steve