Morning Glory

Last year I built a raised bed with good soil, primarily for perennials. The bed has a double trunked maple tree, and I built a twine trellis for Morning Glories. I've always read that if the soil is rich and moist the plant will grow like crazy but won't bloom much. I've found that to be true.
For next year, I was thinking of burying a large ceramic pot w/ poor soil (high clay content) at the base of the trellis. Does anyone think that's a good idea? If not, I may just go w/ Clematis, as I think it's an ideal site for that.
I also found that morning Glories like to climb up the vertical parts of the trellis as opposed to the horizontal parts ( I was going for height) so next year I'll redo it with that in mind. (is the same true for Clematis?)
Zing
They also like full sun an very little to no shade at all.
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062:odyssey three

They may like full sun and grow best in full sun but they can grow just fine in shade. There are several places in my neighborhood of clumps of vines growing on fences in practically full shade. These vines are decades old and reseed themselves every year but they look very thick and healthy. The one thing I noticed is that the morning glories that get more shade tend to have much larger leaves.
Morning Glories do great in sandy loam, need watering daily in dry hot weather.

I think they bloom only when they can't go up further. I had trouble getting them to bloom when they could go up and up and up. I have a small trellis on my mailbox and they bloom nicely as soon as they reach the top and fall back. The soil is good soil, not very deep, on top of rocks and some sand between the rocks.
Janet
Zing wrote:

FYI Morning Glories bloom all day long when grown in a greenhouse! :_)
Frank

Frank LeMond wrote:

I haven't had that experience. They seem to bloom when the air temperatures are cool. To get them to bloom all day you have to cross-pollinate them with afternoon glories.
Actually I should have said, when grown in a greenhouse with polycarbonate glazing.
Frank