morning glory??

Greetings gardeners-

I have a vine which simply showed up and started to grow aggressively. It even began strangling other plants. My estimate is that it grew 8 feet in two weeks! I live in coastal Southern California.

It looks like morning glory flowers, but the leaves do not, however I'm only familiar with the standard species.

Please take a look here:

let me know what you think.

Thanks warren

Reply to
wrrn

Exactly what is your "standard species" of "morning glory"?

The plant in the picture is Ipomoea purpurea, the "common morning glory" widespread throughout much of the US.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

That is a morning glory, have many of them starting to grow in my yard. Kirsten in Ohio

Reply to
KatoKirk

Not so.

Bindweed is the common name for Convolvulus arvensis not Ipomoea.

Cereoid-UR12-

There are three kinds of Convolvulus or Bindweed in our native flora: the Field, Hedge, and the Sea Convolvulus. We have also many southern species growing in our gardens, chief among which are the handsome Morning Glory (Ipomea purpurea Linn.), C. purpureus, a native of Asia, with large purple flowers, and the pretty little annual, C. minor, a native of southern Europe, its cheerful flowers a combination of blue, yellow and white.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Bindweed is convolvulus, not ipomoea. Close, but not the same at all.

Reply to
animaux

Good for you, Steverino.

The only problem is that none of that is relevant to the original question that was asked by Warren.

Also the genera Convolvulus and Ipomoea are NOT synonymous.

Cereoid-UR12-

What I've got looks similar to the picture posted. They are mostly shades of violet to purple, some bluer, some pink. All have the white throat and violet star. Leaves are heart-shaped as shown. They were originally planted as garden flowers (40 or so years ago) and have gone wild. We've planted various seed packets over the years, I always assumed that's how we got the pink ones. When I was young we only had purple. They are, or act as, annuals (zone 5-6).

A few years ago we started getting white flowers with arrowhead shaped leaves, which I now know is bindweed. They may have come in a wildflower mix, don't know.

Janine

Reply to
jrstark

I have a perennial morning glory and it is invasive if I allow it to be. Here is a photo of it, but the photo shows the flower color to be purple, while the one I have is no different other than being a deeper true blue than 'Heavenly Blue' the annual.

animaux

That hedge and arch are gorgeous! I wish I could get my wall to fill in like that. I've just started trimming the tops the last few days trying to get the bottom to fill in more.

Mine have lots of seeds, every flower becomes a seed pod. If you leave dirt in a pot for a few days, you get morning glory sprouts. I have a skinny, delicate little indoor morning glory growing in my basement office window. It sprouted in a houseplant pot from a bag of potting soil that had apparently been left outside.

Janine

Reply to
jrstark

Thanks All for your input warren

Reply to
wrrn

..you wouldnt be the Andrew Ostrander from the notorious Rm 3 at DMCI, would you????

murphy, hiding under an alias...:))

Reply to
murphy

Yes I would, and who would murphy be?

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

....well how about that...:)))).....it really is a small world.....this week is the first time i've been in rec.gardens and i've bumped into 2 ppl i know...

...i need proof before i tell all....who was the teacher presiding over rm 3..??...sorry to be paranoid, but one bad past experience has made me cautious!!

murphy, back from work in about 6 hours....as the plot thickens...

Reply to
murphy

F.O. Norman, but if you want more assurance, you can check my web pages at

, My photo is on the second page with the 2001 info and, oh damn, I just noticed that Outlook Express has been sending my real email address with my postings. Explains why the spam has started.

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

......thats it!!....wow....i am still trying to get my head around the fact that of all the gazillions of ppl on the net, you bump into ppl you know..

hiya andy!

....back in room 3 i was marlene johnson....i did marry and became Coates...and actually divorced about 3 years ago but remained Coates...i cant remember if you were at the reunion in 1990?...

but if you want more assurance, you can check my web pages at

......wow....sounds like quite the garden you have....i cant get the photos to d/l but that is likely due to the fact the i have an iMac and its very selective....but will try again from another point of entry....

, My photo is on

....i shovel out mountains of it on a daily basis...too bad you cant dump it in the garden!!..i'm living in BC and think i've died and gone to heaven after gardening in the prairies for 40 years....gardening is one of my passions...

....if you want to write and share news garden or otherwise, my e-mail is

snipped-for-privacy@uniserve.com

...dont want to subject all these nice folks in rec.gardens to all that..:))

murphy/marlene

Reply to
murphy