Making Rainwater Harvesting Illegal

Page 2 of 4

Where are the large worms when you really need them. Come to think of it I encourage spice on a much lesser scale.
Bill "Dune" see Sting as Feyd-Rautha
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
<Charlie> wrote in message

Hey Charlie! How ya doing? :-))

I can never quite understand that. And if I hear once again about the problems of rainwater coming into contact with bird poop on the roof, I think I'll scream. Pity the drongos who worry about that don't do some reading before making such sily comments.
I much prefer to dring water that I control and not some civic entity. But then perhaps this comes from having lived ina small village where the poop farm treatment works was right beside the town water supply. We regualarly got notices not to drink the town water but to boil it for 3 mions. 'They' always said that there was no connection between the problems of the water supply and the poo factory but I had grave doubts.

Yep. Coming soon to a town near you........

How's you worm riding going?
FarmI wrote:

It's a matter of what you see (or imagine) versus what is carefully hidden away by municipal authorities.

In the local village with reticulated water the lower the river gets the more chlorine they add, in a drought it is nearly toxic. This is done to IMPROVE its quality.
David

Couldn't it merely be good old fashioned ignorance?
Our society has been plagued by ignorance in relation to things that people consider to be 'dirty'. We can thank the clean freaks for polio. It was only the western world that suffered from polio epidemics after all that palaver about sanitised households. God spare me from 'whiter than white' or 'antibacterial' kitchen cleaners.
The only time I got mild collywobbles about bird poop was when the Avian bird flu was around and there was soem concernt hat it might arive here with migratory birds.
I got in touch with our local RLPB vet who has wider coverage than just that organisation and who writes on things zoonose and animal related in the local paper to ask about the possiblity of transmission by way of rainwater and household supply. He did some research and wrote about it in the press - basically ,not a known issue. Good enough for me even with the proviso which he'd have been a dill not to add.

LOL. Yup!
FarmI wrote:

Ignorance is very much part of the issue, you are making that more explicit. Visibility is closely related, I see a bird sitting on the roof, I don't see the dead beast in the reservoir. Either way it's a gut reaction not the result of considered thought.

How can you possibly sit on a toilet that doesn't have blue water? I suppose you expose your friends and children to such risks as well. You monster!
David

Pretty damn well, thank ya! The two young ankle-biters are going full speed and are ready for gardening.....the little girl is the toughest and smartest of them all.....

It's a shame, for sure. Drongos? I gather the meaning in a general sense, and I like it!

It's not right that we have to filter our municipal water to remove the additives and the friggin' chemicals and the damned pissed out drugs. Our water supply comes from a lake.......that is heavily used for boating, has thousands of acres of crop runoff and runoff from an eighteen hole golf course......nice toxic soup. Gimme birdshit and frogshit any day. I remember pulling water from my grannies cistern and putting the tree frogs, that often flowed in with the water back in the cistern opening.

Retrofitting for greywater storage and usage is a problem for many, particulary in urban settings. I've talked to people about this and some think it is disgusting to use shower water, etc on their gardens and all.....the same folks who advocate poisoning weeds and all that shit. Funny thing too, you ever ask people if they piss in the shower, and *lots*, mostly women, are grossed out. Good addition to greywater, IMNSHO.

I planted peas yesterday and some of the worms were half the size of Shai-Hulud. I've never seen so many worms. I gotta get my maker hooks ready!
Charlie
"The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences." -- Liet-Kynes
<Charlie> wrote in message

Sorry Charlie :-)) I usually try to only write in a form of English that can be understood by Americans given that you mob dominate the ng. I slipped up in this case. It means a dope, a dill, a silly person. Unlike our use of 'bastard', drongo doesn't have a usage that could be considered to be affectionate.

I had thought that some drugs, such as female contraceptives, were one of the drugs that sewerage treatment works couldn't filter out. Wonder what effect all those hormones will have on downstream users over time?
Our water supply comes from a lake.......that is heavily used

Yep.
Frogs, like lichen, warn us of impending doom. No frogs or lichen means get out of there fast.

Yep. Can't be done in some places but a regualr here (George.com [I think] from NZ) has a good setup and IIRC he is in a suburban setting.
I've talked to people about this and

How very quaint :-)) Obviously too rich in resources. Put them through years of drought and they won't be quite so precious.
the same folks who advocate poisoning weeds and all that

LOL. I'll bet the same people wouldn't pee on their compost either. These people must be incredibly ignorant and have no interest in history whatsoever.

Just a bit of trivia for you: did you know that there are 6 foot long worms in Oz? (Or at least there used to be). In Gippspland, which is in the State of Victoria, there used to be 6 foot long native worms. Clearing of the forest has made inroads but they did indeed exist and perhaps still do. If you imported some of them and could interbreed then, you might be well on your way to worm riding.

I gathered such, dipshit perhaps in our usage, and please, don't change language on our account!! I *love* the geographical and cultural differences, and the colorful colloquialisms, in the spoken and written word. If we don't get it, we can ask or look it up.
You're a right bastard for being considerate of our "ignorance" though. ;-)

Hell, water supplies in the US, and apperently England, are showing levels of antidepressants and other shit.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EPF/is_21_107/ai_n25130672 / http://www.naturalnews.com/001891.html
Plenty more to be found.

Yeah, but we're running out of running room!

If he is listening in, I'd like a brief description and/or some pics.
I'm liking len's insight on water/greywater harvesting and from what I've seen online, ya'll are leading the way in this, as you well need be doing.

Yep. By and large, we have become a nation of wussified...somethings.

Lots of nights, I have to dash as fast as me old legs can carry me to make it out to the compost pile. Thank god for the privacy fence. The loo is only ten steps away. ;-)

I would love to see those. Crossed with our local nightcrawlers? Yeah, baby. Bet they would be great carp bait! ;-)
Charlie

Sign in a pleasure boat toilet, where pumping out costs money:
"In these isles of sun and fun. We never flush for number one."

It is a common sign in any blue water sail boat head.
cheers
oz, who drank captured rainwater on a Pohnpean beach for one year and a Palauan rooftop for another.
There's a typo in one of the paragraphs of the story. I fixed it:
"To date, drugmakers have dismissed the suggestion that their manufacturing contributes significantly to what's being found in water. Federal drug and water regulators are paid to agree."
Now it's accurate.
In article

Funny, my dictionary says Drongo is Oz for idiot.
--

- Billy
On Apr 21, 5:24pm, Charlie wrote:

...known in a parallel universe as Dick-Head.
Whereas ecology, as usually studied, is a system, the structure of what is usually considered the substance of the study is a web. The essence of a web is that is is not a chain. Interruption of a chain often leads to "bad" consequences, but interruption of a path in a web usually goes unnoticed, as other paths take up the slack.
The highest "function" of ecology.............has no meaning. Ecology (...ology) is a study. Studies have the singular "function" of informing. Therefore the highest........uh.....purpose (?) of ecology is to understand causes, not consequences. Don't misunderstand -- consequences are important, but without an understanding of causes, consequences are non sequitors.
Quotations are fun, but too often take the place of knowing, similar to argument from authority.
One man's profundity is another man's horseshit, which may be useful for fertilizer (or ammunition in my bungee-cord / bitchzilla bra slingshot) but little else.
cheers
oz, terribly profound
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:59:00 -0700 (PDT), MajorOz

yin/yang and here we are again.

We often don't recognize the causes, let alone understand or acknowledge them, because we are unwilling to acknowledge the consequences, as well as acknowledge the causes. What is missing from this is the profit motive..the cause, so very often. Amongst other things.

Quotations, or aphorisms, are signposts along the path pointing folks to other areas and other thoughts. Lengthy diatribes and arguments are not particulary interesting or useful in groups such as this.
aphorism (a-f'?-ri(z'?m) n.
1. A tersely phrased statement of a truth or opinion; an adage. See Synonyms at saying. 2. A brief statement of a principle.
[French aphorisme, from Old French, from Late Latin aphorismus, from Greek aphorismos, from aphorizein, to delimit, define : apo-, apo- + horizein, to delimit, define; see horizon.] aph'orist n., aph'oris'tic (-ri(s'ti(k) adj., aph'oris'tically adv.

Often depends upon which side of the idealogical chasm one stands, doesn't it, Mike?
I find them quite useful.

Prosit Charlie, terribly horseshit?
"The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between how nature works and the way people think. Logic is a poor model of cause and effect." -- Gregory Bateson
On Apr 21, 9:04pm, Charlie wrote:

"...because" ? As in: *this* happens BECAUSE of *that* ?

"...this" ? What?
We may have problem in that we may be using the term "acknowledge" differently. I use it to mean an admission of existence, not as understanding or a need to understand.
DOING something -- anything -- about consequences of a perceived problem.....pollution, global warming, ingrown toenails, etc........without an understanding of causes is reminiscent of bleeding for fever.

Like bumperstickers.

Lengthy or (any) diatribe, I agree.
Arguments, however, are often necessary to the furtherance of understanding.

Of course; like one of my favorites: "One man's religion is another man's belly laugh."

Well........fun, maybe.

Where do you dig up these profoundly (pun intended) idiotic babblings? The first sentence reads like: "The difference between a duck is that one leg is the same" And the second cannot be honored by calling it horseshit. It is simply wrong. Logic is the ONLY model of cause and effect.
Greg (and I admit I didn't google him up) sounds like some of the folks I encountered at university who thought they understood science and engineering and then tried to apply it to the unquantifiable areas of human behavior, and, as a result, came up with the oxymoron: social and behavioral science
cheers
oz, whose favorite bumbersticker is: "If you ain't Christian, you ain't shit"
In article

Jesus Loves Me (But he can't STAND you) 2:59 Austin Lounge Lizards Employee Of The Month Country MPEG audio file 100 3 2/5/09 5:20 PM
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:47:25 -0700 (PDT), MajorOz

Appears what we have here is like it was in days gone by....our side of the bar was hollering "hell no, we won't go" and the other side of the bar was hollering "america, love it or leave it", then some fool would chuck a bottle or can and the brawl was on til everyone tired out and went back to their side and started hollering again.....
As far as your favorite bumpersticker, I've never quite figgerd that one out.....does it mean that if you *are* christian, you *are* shit?
Words and arrangement of words and understanding of arrangements of words are such subjective and funny things.
Charlie
"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." -- Mark Twain
On Apr 22, 7:15pm, Charlie wrote:

That is the beauty of it: that it is confusing (and so VERY Christian).

He also must have been prescient re: the new crop of trendy ecoidiots when he said: "If you call a mule's tail a leg, then a mule has five legs; but calling it a leg doesn't make it a leg".
Damn.........you got me into abandoning thought and going for quotes. :)
cheers
oz, looking for morels, but not finding any
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:44:06 -0700 (PDT), MajorOz

LOL.
Indeed he was, and one of the greatest smartasses of all time.imnsho

"It is a good thing for an educated man to read books of quotations." -- Winston Churchill :-)
I'm believe that quotations *stimulate* thought.
But, on the other hand, there is this......
"He who trains his tongue to quote the learned sages, will be known far and wide as a smart ass." -- Howard Kandel
Complicates the issue, just a bit, neh?

Ahhhh......this proves you are an honest man....you say you found none. More lies and tall tales are told about 'shrooming than fishing! I hear the usual gas station talk about "Kenny and Bill" are finding a few.....but nobody has seen the mushrooms!
Now we're back on common ground. I haven't found any either, but it's been raining a lot, it hit 80 today and they are thinking it could even be warmer the next couple of before showers on Sat and Sun........looks like a recipe for a successful forage to me.
Wife's relatives around Wheatland and Bolivar are claiming some, but then, you never know..........about relatives either.
Charlie
"Eggs and mushrooms are a combination thats hard to beat, so I suggested sauting (the mushrooms) and tossing them with spaetzle those appealing little blobs of egg/milk/flour batter, but Mark was in Paris, where the bread is so good that adding other starches seemed to him like a waste of effort. Me, Id go for the extra starch anytime, but I saw his point. So, I said, why not tear up some of that good bread, crisp the shreds in olive oil or butter and mix them with the cooked mushrooms? Like Spanish (not Tex-Mex) migas. Kind of. --- Mark Bittman

You need a better dictionary. There are other accurate ways to use the word "acknowledge" than the sole example you give.

That is such a bald and ridiculous statement.
I've had 2 primary forms of cancer and both of them would have killed me if I hadn't had a raft of treatment. My oncologists have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the 'causes' of my cancers and they admit they'd be multimillionaires if they crack that mystery. What they do know is that they had to do 'something'. They knew what the consequences would be as a direct result of the perceived problem.