looking for advice re mugho pine variety

Hi All--
I saw the most beautiful mugho pine today & wondered whether anyone either knew the variety or could refer me to an expert who could help. It was a large, low-set (3'), spreading variety, with almost a rambling habit. The most striking feature was its jet black branches--they contrasted beautifully with the needles. I may be mistaken, but there were also beautiful red cones.
Please reply to the group; my email addy is non-functioning.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
philosopher
HI Muhgo Pines don't have black branches. Their cones are brown. derryl
Hi All--

Could it have been a dwarf Austrian pine? I swear the branches were black as can be--strikingly different from the typical mugho pine. The cones were reddish and diamond-shaped. I really want to get a hold of this cultivar. Any help? Thanks! philosopher

sounds very distintive. thre are zillions of dwarfed conifers. maybe you could ask the owner for info? (and report back here? :) )
they contrasted beautifully with the needles. I may be

Is it possible that you saw Pinus thunbergii (Japanese Black Pine). Like mugho pines, these are two leaved, and can look similar if consistently pruned - no red cones though. One of the more compact forms is Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead':
http://www.iseli-nursery.com/photopages/PinusthunbergiThunderhead.htm
Regards.

Sorry. Even if those with dark-grey branches were wet, they wouldn't be "jet black" would they?