Looking for a taller, cascading annual

Greetings All,

I'm looking for ideas for a cascading annual for a raised flower bed. The top of the soil is about 7-8 inches below the top of the landscaping timbers, so I need a flower that will grow fairly tall before it cascades over the timbers. It's for the front of the bed and will have other flowers behind it, so it can't be too tall. Also, it can't be too invasive. I'll need to be able to snip it back if too long, and train it to go one direction (over the timbers). I don't want it spreading in all directions, if you get me.

Yes, I know all about petunias, and I have lots of petunias, but I want something different here. Zone 6, full sun. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Polly

Reply to
Polly Purebred

How about Nasturtium? Unless you have an aphid invasion, there's nothing not to like about them. Colorful, smell good, and you can eat them, too.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

How about a "Love Lies Bleeding" or one of the other amaranths?

Or ipomoea/ sweet potato vines? Lots of neat colors - "blackie", a lime color or the tricolor.

Or nasturtiums?

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Thanks to both Doug and Cheryl! The Nasturtium looks like it might be absolutely perfect for this area and I've never grown them before. I think I'll definitely give them a try. The amaranth would be too tall, but it's another that I think I'll try this year in another area to completment some of my taller 'round' flowers.

I just love trying a few new plants out every year. It's so much fun! :-) This area, though, has been a real thorn in my side for a couple of years, as I just can't seem to find the perfect plants for the front of this bed. I'm anxious to try out the nasturtium.

Thanks again,

Polly

Reply to
Polly Purebred