lilac problem

We have a rather large lilac bush in our yard. Thanks to a severe winter ice storm, it has become badly misshapened with the branches bowed out from the center with little in the center. It badly needs trimmed to try to restore some shape. However, we've heard that anywhere you cut a lilac, that branch will not grow out from the place where it was trimmed. As you can tell, we are at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

To rejuvenate a lilac, you need to cut out 1/4 to 1/3 of the larges branches each year for 3 or 4 years. Cut them off at the ground.