Lilac/Dogwood spacing question...

I'd like to do a Common Lilac/Red Twig Dogwood hedge.... what sort of spacing should I use? I'd like a full screen during the summer. (actually got a bunch of the schrubs VERY cheap locally) Thanks!!!

Reply to
Fred

Bear in mind that the Lilac will get tall, but the Cornus will stay squat - more or less. Perhaps plant with the mind to train into a 2-tiered array??

Reply to
Mike LaMana

i have been seeing what looks like lilac bushes around town..............are these just trees that have been trimmed to stay small?

Reply to
rosie read and post

I planted red-twig & yellow-twig Dogwood 5 ft. apart last spring. They were about 2 ft. tall, got them from the "clearance" corner of the nursery. They have grown together this year blocking out the daylilies I had planted between them. HTH

Reply to
Twobtold

Depending on what variety of dogwood, the lilacs may eventually swallow them up as they grow bigger. I would highly reccommend you plant the lilacs in a row and then continue the dogwoods after you run out of lilacs. Space the lilacs at least 5 or 6 feet apart for better air circulation, and the dogwoods about 4 or 5 feet apart. Consider the idea mentioned above, alternating them in the hedge will look obsurd.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372