Lemon Tree

I planted a lemon tree about 4 years ago and it just doesn't seem to get any bigger... It is in full sun, is their any special Fruit tree fertilizer some one could recommend? How often? Thanks!

Cocoa Beach, Florida

Reply to
Debi

There are specific citrus fertilizers. Actually the only plant-specific fertilizers that are worthwhile are citrus food and azalea-camellia food. For all other plants, I use general-purpose fertilizers, usually the cheapest lawn food I can find ("cheap" in terms of dollars per pound of nitrogen).

However, citrus also needs zinc, which is often missing in the current formulations of citrus food. Get some zinc sulfate (citrus likes the acid, too) and scatter about 1/4 cup in the root zone.

Reply to
David Ross

seem to

tree

Is the lemon tree setting fruit? Often small citrus trees set fruit then put all their energy into growing the fruit instead of the tree. If that is the problem, the fix is to wait till the fruits are about the size of a nickel, then cut them off. The tree will then put its energy into growing. If you cut the fruit off too soon, the tree will reflower and you'll have to do it again. A year or two of that and the tree will be large enough to support the fruit that it produces and also grow. It's painful, but it works :-)

Reply to
Elizabeth