Killing Tree Roots Once and For All

Several months ago I had two large liquid amber trees removed from my front lawn. They had an extensive surface root system, so I had the roots ground as well. Well, obviously some of the roots remain underground, as now I've got several places where little trees are sprouting from the ground. I was about to put down a new lawn, but I'm concerned about these little trees continually popping up. Is there a way to permanently kill what's left of the liquid amber tree's roots so no more mini trees pop up?

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17
1) Spray the leaves with 2-4-D (Weed-B-Gon). 2) Drill holes in roots, pore in glyphosate (Roundup) using a funnel Try to drill at an angle and avoid going all the way through the roots. 3) Try both methods if you are extremely impatient.

Good luck, Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

Gideon, thank you for your suggestion. I haven't had much luck spraying Roundup on the plants that pop up. They brown and shrivel a bit, then come back full force. A neighbor suggested using brush killer (SA-50?). I wonder how that compares with the 2-4-D.

Many thanks.

-Fleemo

Gide> 1) Spray the leaves with 2-4-D (Weed-B-Gon).

Reply to
fleemo17

Wouldn't it be dormant now, being a deciduous tree? If so there's probably no benefit doing anything with herbicides until spring when the roots become active again. You could also try a stump gel to prevent suckers from coming up.

Reply to
Mohammed the Pig

Mohammed, my guess is you're in the southern hemisphere. It's summertime up here in North America. :)

What exactly is a stump jel? Keep in mind that I don't have a big stump sitting in the lawn. That was, supposedly, removed -- ground down. But apparently there is still quite a root system down below the ground that is sending up shoots frequently. If I dug down to one of these sub-surface roots, you think this root gel might kill the entire beast?

Cheers!

-Fleemo

Mohammed the Pig wrote:

Reply to
fleemo17

Fleemo,

Let us know how things work out for you. Feedback regarding the usefulness of our semi-intelligent free advise is always appreciated. :)

Gideon

fleemo17 wrote:

Gideon, thank you for your suggestion. I haven't had much luck spraying Roundup on the plants that pop up. They brown and shrivel a bit, then come back full force. A neighbor suggested using brush killer (SA-50?). I wonder how that compares with the 2-4-D.

Many thanks.

-Fleemo

Gide> 1) Spray the leaves with 2-4-D (Weed-B-Gon).

Reply to
Gideon

First

Is the tree yours?

I would tell you how to do it but too many people would try to kill their neighbors tree or when a tree protection ordinance requires the symplast of the tree be dead before they can be removed. I will keep the information to myself.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.