Keeping a 3' by 3' square of grass turf alive

Page 1 of 4
First: -I have no idea about gardening-. I'm trying to figure out how to put down some 3' by 3' squares of turf for wildlife (small animals) that we rescue. I figure that will make them feel a little less homesick during their stay.
I want to keep this as simple as possible, as the sod will just be used as a 'floor' in enclosures. I suppose I'll have to get some kind of a large pan, and possibly punch holes in the bottom to make sure it doesn't get too wet (that was the mistake made on the first smaller scale test).
Again, absolutely no experience with this, so please post any ideas, however elementary. Need for how much soil underneath? Design of containing pan? How much water? Fertilizer? Light? (If possible, I'd like to bring these inside in the winter, so maybe UV lights will be required then)
Any ideas appreciated.

Put them down. Yea heartless. Then adopt a child or try to get us out of foreign interventions. Bill who thinks that chickens that have access to 3'X3 ' can be labeled free range. Ya right.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:57:18 -0400, Bill who putters

I guess I've just heard from the resident loon. Thanks to everyone else though. <g>

Move the cage over a new grassy area? Most grasses need full sun. Grown or taken indoors you will be faced with multiple issues. What about pots of clover?
Phisherman wrote:

Look up Chicken Tractor. As a city boy, a term that struck me out of left field!
Grass takes a lot of light. And I might add, what we know as lawn grass is not native to wildlife. I would think some other bedding would be superior.
Jeff
Most grasses need full sun.

That's a good idea for more rural rescue people. Unfortunately, I'm in a big city and the closest field is blocks away. We have concrete and fire escapes. <g>

As mentioned in another post, these guys are from parks where they lived on manicured lawn grass for many generations. They seem adapted. In fact, one park has no oak trees, and the squirrels in that park usually turn up their noses at acorns! Strange to see. They'd more likely identify discarded Hostess HoHo's as a major food group.

OK, that's the type of suggestion that I was looking for. I'll look into that. Are there other types of vegetation that would be easier to deal with?
The sod that I've seen (Home Depot) is about 1 inch+ thick. I guess that will require more soil, and perhaps some kind of other substrate to facilitate drainage (pebbles? sand?). Not sure about details, and this is probably not even a mainstream question for those into gardening. But any guesses are better than nothing.

I am wondering about plants normally thought of as weeds. burr clover and oxalis seem quite hardy in my lawn.

if you are treating sick or injured wildlife, you need a substrate that is easily cleaned & disinfected. grass doesn't fit either criteria. "homesick" is a human emotion, it doesn't pertain to sick or injured wildlife. if you insist on anthromorphizing animals, you aren't helping them. what exactly are you trying to do and what veterinarian are you working with? do you have your rehabilitation permits from your state Fish & Wildlife division? are you up-to- date on your tetunus & rabies vaccines? lee <wildlife rehab isn't a walk in the park>

Nice to know that people are concerned for the animals. While I appreciate that advice, I have to wonder how this got off track. Let me emphasize: I do have licensing, I've been doing this for years, and any animal in my care gets the best veterinary care available, etc. I do have a background in microbiology, so I know about rabies and other zoonotics. And 'homesick' was a convenient term...animals do get stressed when in foreign environments. I hope that clarifies things.
What I don't know is gardening. So again, I appreciate those who have provided practical advice, and hope this hasn't run too far off track.

What type Lincense ?

So what is a background?

No you said words that said nothing

Called me a loon with your qualifications get real.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

Something you completely lack here.

Those of us who get enough oxygen to our brains knew what he meant by 'homesick', and certainly even those with room-temperature IQs got it after he explained above.
Seriously, are you that thick? Or are you completely ignorant of the matter at hand? In which case, why are you responding? I know, I know, because you can. <sigh>

I'll call you a loon and I don't have half (any, really) the qualifications Bob does. Since you deem yourself worthy to criticize Bob, could you tell us YOUR qualifications in the subject of animal rescue?
(crickets)
What I thought. You ARE a loon.

mcarver snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in
om:

at least loons are real. you're only a sock puppet. lee

t2g2000yqt.googlegroups.c
If by sock-puppet you mean that I have any personal relationship with or knowledge of Bob, you are completely wrong. I am a disinterested (regarding Bob and animal rescue) third party, but not disinterested regarding rec.gardens.
The Billdoes have been acting like jerks and/or self-appointed experts for a while now, I figured it was time they got called out. Especially in this thread, where they just made it so EASY, I couldn't resist.
Just so I understand where you're coming from, why are you defending BillBilly in this thread?
Mc,pining for the days when a guy named Bill was one of the most valuable contributors to rec.gardens, not the loons we have today.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:23:13 -0700 (PDT), mcarver snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spuked forth:

in
Uhhh, did you ever consider that perhaps they *do* know things...perhaps things that many others do *not* know? Obviously things you do not understand, as your denigration demonstrates.

Oh I cannot resist either.... your words serve to indicate your bog irish ancestory. Someone drags a tater thru rec gardens and you pounce.

Who the fsck cares what you understand, as you have already indicated that you understand little.

This is yet another of the lame threads showing here recently and the lame posters spewing forth.
McCharlie, just another mick bastard, with pretty good lineage
Charlie wrote in

A lot of the lame threads are here these days because the loon squad has run off a lot of the good folks. This is not unique to rec.gardens, and it's happened before, but it still stinks.
Go through the rg archives in google, and look at the posts made by a Bill Morgan, that name ought to be familiar to some of the other old-timers here. Compare and contrast to our current crop of BillBilly.
Hey, if Keslick can come back after a long hiatus, maybe someone good can, too!

Well maybe you'll hang around and show us how to get it right ;O)
--

- Billy

spuked forth:

Really? Man, I gotta get this Usenet thing figured out before those people completely run off the good folk. How does one tell the good folk from the not good folk?
I don't understand what you mean by loons. I fondly remember loons from my Boy Scout days and canoe trips to Minnesota and Canada. Could you clarify this for me, please?

Nah, I shan't waste my time searching archives upon your direction, thank you. I'm really busy these days.... and hot, as our weather has been brutal, and not having air conditioning, I spend most of the time outside because it's too hot in the house. I'll take your word for this.
BillBilly? Again, I am not clear about what you mean by this. There have been several Bills posting here over the years, including currently. Do you include Bill Rosen in the current crop of BillBilly?

Keslick? Who is Keslick. He sounds sinister!
What genres of music do you prefer, Mc?
MacCharlie, switching to the other bloodline
<Charlie> wrote>

The topic is clearly asking for grasses... but Billy needs new glasses... so he leapt into the masses thinking it was asking for asses. LOL
Ahahahahahahahahaahha. . . .
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:14:42 GMT, "brooklyn1"

Is this prose the result of a third or a half bottle, shel?
Yawn....can you *never* be clever, only vulgar, gin rummy?
Charlie
There's an old man sitting next to me Making love to his tonic and gin. ~~Billy Joel
In article
mcarver snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

So that makes 16 times he's posted here in the last 5 years. You'll notice Dr. Bob never uses technical words that may normally be used by people in his profession like biome, or the whole Family, Genus, Specie thing, or why say rabies and zoonotics, when just zoonosises covers it all, or calling his wards "inmates"? No, Im afraid that school is out, and we will have adolescents to deal with as well as trolls, who use ad hominem attacks, and invectives for arguments.
--

- Billy