ivy

I am looking for a tough ivy that can take a nearly 45 degree slope in zone 4a (Minneapolis). I tried baltic ivy last year, which, admittedly is on the bubble here and it all died. I got it free from my Mom, who dug it up from her yard although putting it in was kind of a pain, which I hope not to repeat too many more times. I could try it again, since I may have put it in too late...not enough water or some other fault on my part. Or I could try something with more probability of success. Some names that have popped up: boston ivy, engelmann ivy, virginia creeper. Any opinions? Or other ideas?
mm
boston ivy and virginia creeper are deciduous. But they are equal to evergreen ivy in having tenacious root systems. If you don't mind the fact that they will lose their leaves in winter, go for it. Both have some color in fall - virginia creeper often goes brilliant red before dropping its leaves.