Is this still organic gardening?

Page 1 of 3
If a person were to add chemical fertilizer to a pond to spur an algae bloom, then to harvest the algae for use as compost, would that still be considered "organic gardening"?

No. Why not use a natural form of nitrogen? Synthetic nitrogen is putrid.

Don't you kind of answer your own question here? Organic Gardening is, by definition, NOT using chemicals. (Using common vernacular here -- obviously everything in the garden and such has a chemical nature.) If one uses chemical fertilizers then that would pretty much immediately negate the organic aspects. Granted, it might work wonders and all but finding a natural means would be preferred of course.
Considering how easily algae takes hold of any body of water, I'd have to wonder why anyone would feel the need to resort to chemicals to encourage its growth. Hmmmm....
James

Depends on how you label "organic gardening." Personally, I define it as the ability to rotate polarized light. If you want more algae in the pond, allow more sunlight to it (cut overhanging branches or remove a tree). I have lots of extra algae (and azola, and anacharis) if you want to come get it. ;-)
According to a few websites, even adding 10-10-10 to a compost pile is "organic gardening", since the fertilizer is not directly added to the plants. I'm looking more for a technical definition rather than a philosophical one.
As for algae, sunlight really isnt the limiting factor here. Its phosphorus. Dump phosphorus into any lake, and a huge algae bloom will take place. Thats why its not allowed to be used in detergent anymore.
Yours is a stupid question to begin with and you probably already know that.
Even though everyone has said don't do it, you probably will do whatever the heck you want no matter what anybody says so why do you even bother asking?
The technical definition for you is TROLL!!!!
Now go and sod off.
There obviously is no limiting factor to your stupidity!!!

Sir, you are quite insane. And this is a legitimate question. Do you somehow think algae will become toxic if it suddenly recieves some of the nutrients it needs to grow? I am only looking for a technical definition from which to set my boundries.

You got that answer. Do whatever you want.
David Bunch is most definitely a lunatic troll wasting everyone's time.
His question has been answered many times over but nothing sinks into that thick skull of his.
He has gone way beyond beating the subject to death. The subject has been beaten way beyond puree by now.
It doesn't matter what you say, whether you agree or disagree with his loony notions, the idiot just wants to bitch and argue over nothing.
Screw the troll.
Let him piss in his own pool.
What he really needs is a girlfriend (or maybe in his case, a boyfriend?)
When it comes down to it, I doubt if even a dog would stick around for long listening to that whining jerk baby with his dirty diaper all in a bunch.
opined:

I just searched through the newsgroup for some of your other replies Cereoid. You never have anything positive to say, and your manner of 'speech' is way off. You are probably the first truely crazy person I have conversed with on the internet.

Why bother? I don't see the poster you are talking about. Learn to use your filters and you will enjoy newsgroups a lot more. I must have 200 kids & 50 adults in my filters that I never see. ;-)
Tom J
You are the genuine crazy person Bunch panties.
You are not worthy of being taken seriously by anyone here.
Obviously sarcasm is way beyond your limited addle-brained comprehension.
You post an asinine psycho proposal in this newsgroup and you argue with everyone who replies, regardless of whether they agree or disagree with you. You are a real nut case.
I expose you for the true troll imbecile you are and now you call me the crazy one?
You are long overdue for having your meds changed, loony toons.
And besides, this is a gardening newsgroup in the first place, if you want instructions on how to pollute your environment you should look elsewhere because the subject is off-topic here. Who knows? There just might be a newsgroup for eco-terrorists kooks like you out there somewhere?

David Bunch wrote:

Either you don't converse with many people on the Internet, or you're not a very good judge of crazy. Cereoid doesn't even make my top 100. (Sorry, Cereoid. You'll need to try harder. <g>)
As for saying positive things, that's not something I care about. Useful things is something I care more about. And if you cut through the rhetoric, and the blunt, course method of delivery, Cereoid has delivered some good information. Critical information without pulling punches. But so what? This newsgroup is about gardens and garden related things. It's not a substitute for group therapy, and it's not a place to come if all you want is positive affirmation even when you're wrong.
You want nice? Go to some moderated web forum where they block anyone who utters a discouraging word. But you'll loose out on all the people who are blocked for not being nice, even if their content was useful. And that's a shame. Ignore the message because you don't like the messenger or the way the messenger delivers the message. When the value of the content becomes secondary to how it's delivered, then the content looses value.
This is hardly worth it's own thread. If you disagree with Cereoid, either attack the issue being discussed, or let it go. Starting a thread for the sole purpose of calling someone crazy is, in my opinion, even less nice than the way Cereoid participates in existing threads. At least those threads started off someone on-topic. And in those cases they turn bad only after others participate. You've started your own "let's attack someone" thread. And you didn't even use a spell checker! You may think you used nice words to do it, but plain and simple, it's a personal attack that's not even part of a thread with content. That puts you higher on my crazy person list than Cereoid is. You didn't even deliver any content.
--
Warren H.

==========
Hey, pretty cool. I got ceroid and warren blocked now haha. Happy gardening!

Hahaha. Ug.
said to someone or another:

You should freak out everybody by being extravagantly nice in all your posts. Just for a couple days, not long enough for it to get boring.
-paghat the ratgirl
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:25:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) opined:

It's already boring. I like Steve the way he is. It's not popular, but I like him the way he is.
feh
How about being a "good guy" doll...........jsut like CHUCKY!!!!!
Its all child's play anyway.
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Realm/8103 /

Wouldn't that be a novel approach?

He *is* quite knowledgable in certain areas, and I've defended him in the past, but the information is rarely worth the abuse and foul language. And my positive comments resulted in even fouler messages. A simple tap on the 'delete' key makes him vanish, which is what I do now. He's no different from the crazies in other newsgroups. If you've only 'met' one, you must not subscribe to many forums. :-)