Is "Pollinator" still in the newsgroup?

this is a question posted to me by "Spunkie" who is up in Michigan and hasn't gone to the newsgroups for quite awhile. Anyone out there an expert on this? madgardener

is pollinator still on the garden newsgroup? we are having an off topic subject about bees on my parrot group. i described what we call yellow jackets up here, and some of the people steered me to what looks like a mainly yellow wasp. mustard yellow not the same bee i am talking about. the one up here is about 1/2" long, between 1/4 and 1/2 " wide. mainly bright yellow, black stripes around the main body [3 ?] and i think an all black head [hey i haven't seen 1 since fall last year.] they are usually the first bees in spring and last in fall. its fuzzy like a honey bee. they are basically non aggresive unless people start messing with them, they will sting several times. they are big compared to most bees. if you laid 1 on a quarter its body would almost fill it lengthwise. with a small area left on the sides. can pollinator point me to web sites with american bees? the link i was given was in the uk. their bees may be diff. than ours. this is 1 link they sent me. course can't find the other one. but this one says yellow jackets.

help i would appreciate. maybe you know which one i am talking about. can't just be a michigan bee. spunkie

Reply to
madgardener

Google returns a bunch of Yellowjacket sites.

Reply to
Travis

There are something like 3000 species of bees in North America. Fuzzy tend s to point towards a bee. There are bumblebees that small. Try a web search on the word "Halictid" and see if any look similar.

BTW Pollenator is David L Green, his web page is still active- link below

bamboo

Don't think so, but if you e-mail me, I might be able to get his addy.

Jean

Jwonsetler can be found at cox dot net

Reply to
Jeana