Vine that withstands freezing roots

I am looking for a vine that can withstand the cold in Zone 5 (Chicago) in containers. I have 2 copper pots that are approx 36" high and 16" square at the top (tapers down to base of about 8 " square). I am looking to grow a vine (preferably fast growing) on a large trellis and there is nowhere other than these pots to put it. I tried grape vines and a couple of other things and they didn't make it through winter. The location gets partial to full sun. The two pots need to cover a trellis approx 20 feet long and 2 feet high above my fence.

I was considering clematis, but think that the metal containers will make the roots get too warm, which I know they don't like.

Thanks

Reply to
michaeljc70

I don't know that you have a chance to grow any vine in there. The pots are small for a vine, first of all. Second, you are right that you lose a lot of zones when you leave plants in pots outside. Just to give you an idea, I lost all the lemon balm that I had planted in a much larger pot outside (2.5 feet in each direction), with good thermal contact to the ground, and lemon balm is hardier than grapes (and I live near Detroit, which is warmer than Chicago). But the jujube which is in the pot survives and thrives to this day. So, I am guessing that anything hardy to Zone 3 will survive - I know of no vines that hardy. Perhaps an annual vine, such as sweet potato? That way you can change the soil every year and have it prosper.

Reply to
simy1

I guess a possibility is growing something that gets cut back in the fall and moving the pots to my garage. It is not heated, but will be protected from the wind. I would need something that grows very quickly though to cover the length of my trellis if it is going to start from scratch each sprint.

Reply to
michaeljc70

Morning Glories are excellent fast growing vines. I grow a lot of them in pots and if started early, like now, they can climb more than 15 feet. They also provide nice foliage. I can get 3 plants going in a

12"x12"x16"(high) pot with no problem. They do however need to be watered practically every night during the summer which can be a PITA after awhile.

I was thinking of growing grapes in large pots here in Chicago but it appears that may not be possible. I'm building a permanent trellis system and hoped to populate that with a grape vine that would take many years to grow. Oh well.

Reply to
Mark Anderson