Is My Dogwood Doomed?

Page 2 of 2

It's in the side of my front yard. The nearest pavement is about 15 feet away, building about 20. Air circulation in the area is good.
Patrick

Patrick you still did not possitive ID them as Cornus florida. Do you have two types of buds on your tree that looks like this?
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/unique_parts/dogwood_cornus/index.html
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Yes, that is it. I even found the original information tag that was attached to the tree.
Cornus florida rubra
With our strange winter, this tree currently has a flower nearly fully formed and has many buds already cracked open.
Patrick
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com expounded:

Pink flowering dogwood - how pretty!

Patrick, I've lost track - where are you located?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Ann,
I'm in NW Florida.
Patrick

Without even seeing pictures of, let alone touching, the tree or trees, it would be very unprofessional to condem a tree without even seeing the tree.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

I am just shaking my head yes. from anything I have ever read or heard, Joe, it seams they require the conditions you mentioned. I'll bet they also do well with nurse logs.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

No idea. But, springtime around here is amazing in certain parks. The dogwoods and rhododendrons are astoundingly gorgeous.
Here are some unique features of Cornus florida They are buds.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/unique_parts/dogwood_cornus/index.html
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Seriously? Those are called buds?
Its a pretty good ID feature.

Amazing. I always called them "buds". Now, you're telling me they're called "buds". This is why it's worthwhile to consult a tree shmexpert. Why did I wait so long?
What are you talking about. The person could not be sure what the tree was. He can now look at the buds I posted and see if they match his tree. Why are you so sarcastic.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Dogwoods in their natural habitat are generally not prone to disease unless there are cultured areas nearby which have infected trees. People don't know how to plant trees properly and then wonder why their tree dies ten years or less later.
joe wrote

They can see if he has a Cornus florida by checking the buds to see if they match.