Is $12 a ripoff or a good price for 40# bag of 12-12-12 fertilizer?

The last time I bought ferilizer was about 3 years ago, and I remember getting a 40# bag for just under $6. I finally ran out this Spring, and I noticed that my peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, squash and pumpkins could really use one last application this summer.
I went to our local hardware store, thinking I could find a bag for $8 or less (which was all I had in my wallet, by the way), and the cheapest they had was for $12. I decided to pass, and ask if anyone here has seen a better deal at one of the chain stores.
Of course, I may be completely off base, and perhaps something happened to really drive the cost of fertilizer up to twice what it used to be 3 years ago. Is that the case?
I'll be out and about again tomorrow, and am really hoping that someone here might suggest a better place where I can stock up for the next few years again.
Thanks!
Dayton, Ohio

Where did you buy it last time?
It's cheaper in a feed and grain type outfit. Smaller hardware stores can't do the volume to get the better pricing. Just don't bemoan their demise when their last customer leaves for the big box. slugbug wrote:

All depends where you buy it. Cheap brands are just as good. The common mix for vegetable gardens is 10-10-10 and yes, you should be able to cop a 40# bag for $8. KMart, WalMart, Target may have it. Look in HD and Lowes for broken bags--they are even less. Sometimes even a nursery will have drastically marked-down items at the end of season. Store in a cool dry place.