iris, why cut leaves?

Why do we cut the leaves into a fan on iris when we dig and divide them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Delete the obvious to reply to me personally. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
Lobo

It's done to neaten them up, no other reason.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

I also do it to control iris leaf spot. When I'm cutting back the leaves, I also clean up all the dead leaf debris and spent flower stems from and around the iris.

JPS

Reply to
B & J

I cut Irises back to a fan when Transplanting. This reduces the leaf area so that the roots (disturbed) can feed the tops.

Derryl

Reply to
Derryl

The roots are damaged in the process of digging and dividing. I cut the leaves to reduce the demand on the roots for moisture. For the same reason, I reduce the number of leaves on a shoot when I take cuttings of other plants.

Also, my iris leaves sometimes grow quite long. I trim them when dividing to keep the replanted rhizomes from tipping over since the reduced roots cannot hold such a large plant upright.

Reply to
David Ross