Indoor Avacado tree problems.

I started an Avacado tree from a seed a few months ago by using the toothpick in water method to suspend the Avacado over the water until it sprouted. Since then I have purchased some potting soil and placed the pit 3/4 of the way in the soil.
Now it goes through a cycle where it will produce 3 nice large healthy leaves, then in about a week they start to look wilted and then starting at the tips back they turn black and die. I then pinch them off and then the plant produces 3 more nice healthy looking leaves and the cycle repeats. It has done this 4 or 5 times now and the 'trunk' has gotten a bit longer.
I am not sure what I am doing wrong and I was hoping that someone here could tell me how to make this a healthy plant.

Lots of info here: http://ucavo.ucr.edu/avocadowebsite%20folder/avocadowebsite/General/Answers.html
The first issue to deal with is light requirements. Without investing in some pretty serious plant lights, you'll never be able to give the plant enough light. Even on a cloudy day, the light is brighter than what you can provide indoors, unless you're prepared to see your electric bill go up noticeably.
g'day,
first up the avacado isn't an indoor plant, they usually grow out in the ground in ful sun.
you would need a very bright positions or even a light over it to keep it happy. then the watering needs to be controlled, i would suggest let it dry out a bit before watering it fully, in winter they may mean a once a month watering?
also it may work better if the new seedling was allowed to establish outside in a nice warm bright spot before it was bought inside.
and then the rule of thumb may need to be applied for every '2 weeks inside give it 5 weeks outside'.
On 18 Dec 2006 08:46:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /
Well, I live in northern Canada so it is not possible to keep it outside, especially in the winter. So you think that the plant is not getting enough light?
gardenlen wrote:

If don't have plant lights, then it is pretty much guaranteed that it's not getting enough light. If you want to approach an ideal level, this is what marijuana growers do (and I mention this because they've probably advanced the art of indoor growing more than just about anyone else): You'll need at LEAST eight fluorescent plant lights, preferably mounted vertically around the plant. And, four more above the plant, inches above the highest leaves. Ugly, but oh well. The other option would be sodium lights, about 5000 watts' worth, and they should be on for 8-10 hours a day.
Crazy, yes? But, that's the only way you'll have a plant that really looks good. If you can settle for sad results, just one or two fluorescent tubes will do the trick.
Sorry to be so blunt, but this is the reality.

And be prepared for the Narcs squad to bust down the door after the electric company tips them off of the huge jump in your electric bill. ;)

Hi, Avocados will grow indoors and have been used as houseplants for years. I think your problem started with the toothpick and water trick. Next time plant the seed 1/2 deep in good soil in a pot and keep warm and moist as in not wet. No traumatic potting with soggy / weak roots. If you are not trying to fruit the thing you won't need the "THC Special" light setup either although they won't do well in shade. http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/AvocadoFromSeed.html has lots of info.
HTH -_- how no NEWS is good
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I don't grow marijuana so I don't have access to the expensive lights. But if it's lack of light that is the problem I'll put it in the brightest window of the house so it can get all of the 7 hours of daylight we get here now, and I'll leave the 2x60w bulbs above it on all day and night to see if it does any better.
I just pinched off the last set of leaves 2 days ago and this morning I noticed that it is producing 3 more leaves already. It is pretty resiliant that way anyway.
how wrote:

I hope you weren't serious with that statement!
certainly sounds like less than ideal conditions to start with i expect growing one in your climate is going to mean a climate control hot house would be needed, as these plants generally aren't grown much in climates colder than warm temporate, most are grown in the tropics, sub/tropics.
also if the plant is too near a window there could be a lot of cold air affecting it as would central heating which tends to dry out the air in the home.
On 18 Dec 2006 13:17:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
snipped

With peace and brightest of blessings,
len
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /
Yes, it was pretty dry in our house however just last week we had a new centeral humidifier installed, so that should help (set at 35% currently). And the window it is by does not get noticably cold, although I did think that was a factor at one point so I moved it away from there but it did not solve the problem.
gardenlen wrote:

They also like decent air circulation. If you have forced air heat, that's enough to move the air.