If you buy from Burpee.com read this.

Hi,
I received a Bonus Bucks coupon with my most recent order. The coupon is worth $5 off a $30 order. It expires June 30, 2005. You can use the Coupon Code for phone orders or on-line orders. ( I don't think they would mind if I share this.) Email me or post a msg here if you would like the code and I will email it to you.
Burpee.com is a little high priced, at least comparing it to the local retail store prices but this is probably true for most on-line seed companies. I do not know how Burpee's prices compare to other on-line seeds companies. I have only ordered from them twice now and have been very satisfied with the seeds. The Early Girl Tomatoes were excellent last year, I only wish they were not Hybrids so I could save the seeds.
Cheers, Jim
Play4abuck wrote:

I wonder if the coupon is good at Heronswood?

USDA Zone 8b

I have no clue. You could ask them....tell them you have a $5 Bonus Bucks Coupon from Burpee ($5 off if you spend $30 or more) and see if it's good. It says nothing about Heronswood on it. It can be used for on phone orders, internet orders, and mail in orders (if you have the hard copy). I could drop it in the US mail if anyone needs it for a mail in order.
I think I got one of these last year too, they send it with my order and it's worthless to me since I already ordered for the year.
I could email a picture of it if anyone wants to see it.
Cheers, Jim
High priced, yes. But in 30 years of gardening, I've noticed a trend: I have better germination rates with their products than with any others. I'm in Rochester NY. For many crops, we only get one chance per year to get it right. Today, I noticed that some of the seeds I ordered from Burpee were a dollar or so cheaper at Cooks Garden. My Burpee order came to $137.00. I could've saved about $30 ordering from Cooks Garden. But...I only get one chance here. If seeds don't work, $30 is meaningless.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I received a Bonus Bucks coupon with my most recent order.&nbsp; The coupon is worth $5 off a&nbsp;$30 order.&nbsp; It&nbsp;expires June 30, 2005.&nbsp; You can use the Coupon Code for&nbsp;phone orders or on-line orders.&nbsp;( I don't think they would mind if I share this.)&nbsp; Email me or post a msg here if you would like the code and I will email it to you.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Burpee.com is a little high priced, at least comparing it to the local retail store prices but this is probably true for most on-line seed companies.&nbsp;I do not know how Burpee's prices&nbsp;compare to other on-line seeds companies. &nbsp;I have only ordered from them twice now and have been very satisfied with the seeds.&nbsp; The Early Girl Tomatoes were excellent last year, I only wish they were not Hybrids so I could save the seeds.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Jim</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Excellent point about the $30. I really appreciate feedback like this from experienced people. It is very valuable to us beginners.
Now, for a reversal: It's still worth buying some things from the other merchants, especially when you cannot get what you want from Burpee. For example, Burpee doesn't carry escarole, the greens that go into paste e fagiole. What the hell? You can buy it in any decent supermarket. So, I buy from Cook's Garden, Vermont Bean Seed, Seeds of Change, etc. I think it's important that they all stay in business. I also buy "experimental" stuff from these three - unique things I've never tried before.

I wish I could buy from Burpee, but unlike the other popular merchants (Parkseed, Pinetree, Johnny's, Chiltern, Thompson-Morgan, etc.), they are not overseas buyer-friendly. I couldn't even get them to use my international credit card as payment for an order to be shipped to a U.S. address. It's a pity because I think they do have a great selection.
Frank
[...]
Have you written to their president to explain this? I suspect he does not read this newsgroup.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I received a Bonus Bucks coupon with my most recent order.&nbsp; The coupon is worth $5 off a&nbsp;$30 order.&nbsp; It&nbsp;expires June 30, 2005.&nbsp; You can use the Coupon Code for&nbsp;phone orders or on-line orders.&nbsp;( I don't think they would mind if I share this.)&nbsp; Email me or post a msg here if you would like the code and I will email it to you.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Burpee.com is a little high priced, at least comparing it to the local retail store prices but this is probably true for most on-line seed companies.&nbsp;I do not know how Burpee's prices&nbsp;compare to other on-line seeds companies. &nbsp;I have only ordered from them twice now and have been very satisfied with the seeds.&nbsp; The Early Girl Tomatoes were excellent last year, I only wish they were not Hybrids so I could save the seeds.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Jim</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=