I need some help with a tree ID.

In the yard next to mine there is a flowering tree that I can't ID. It's 20-25 feet tall, round in form, and has a gray bark. I'm not sure it is a tree at all, maybe a viburnum gone wild.
Here is a link for some photos.
http://www.picturetrail.com/spyder8
It certainly appears, superficially, to be a Viburnum: Leaves opposite, strongly serrate, broadly ovate. Flowers are cymes, broadly hemispherical. It all points to Viburnum. Are the flowers potently fragrant?
Possibilities include Viburnum carlesii Viburnum x carlcephallum Viburnum bodnantense ('The leaves of all cultivars are similar with deeply impressed veins, red petioles, red stems and slight pubescence on the lower surface. Leaves, when bruised, smell like green peppers.'-- Dirr)
Dave

Looks like a tree hydrangea.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

The flowers don't smell bad but the leaf has a very strong sharp smell too it.