Hydrangea needs help

We recently discovered a plant in need of care. One Hydrangea has dead stalks, but towards the soil we notice new green growth of small leaves.
Shall I proon this back or take a shovel and replace it with another. Thanks. Bette

Mine does that too. There are various kinds of hydrangeas. I'm in TN. In late fall I put a ring of chicken wire around the hydrangea then fill it up with leaves. After the last frost I remove the leaves. The plant looks dead but soon new leaves emerge, then it flowers.
Phisherman wrote:

In that I don't know that much about this plant, I truly do not know. Living in Pa, I shall follow your directions, and watch it bloom. Thanks. Bette
Bette wrote:

I'm in Zone 5 Ohio, where my hydrangea's are just starting to leaf out also. It's probably right on time. The only thing I worry about is a late frost nipping the buds. It's happenend the last two years now.
Jean wrote:

Thanks Jean. We had close to a frost last night as well. Yet this afternoon it reached 80. My mom had hydrangea bushes in her yard years ago. She had a green thumb. Bette

it's pretty hard to kill one of those old fashioned hydrangeas. we had an ancient row of them along the driveway & i tore them out because they were overgrown, & in the way. i tossed some of the cut branches into the swampy area in the front & darned if i don't have hydrangeas blooming in there 2 years later :)
lee <found some pink roses in there too>
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
enigma wrote:

it's pretty hard to kill one of those old fashioned

That is encouraging because I have a black thumb. : ) When I look at house plants they cry. Probably because I give them too much water. My friend back in Jersey, is the plant lady on our street. When anyone has a problem with a plant or gardening, everyone calls Dottie.
Thanks for our info Bette