How foolish can a chook be?

Oedipus the accessory rooster is no smarter than his daddy. Spring is on the way so I was out riding the mower. The flock was out foraging on the grass with Oedipus on the edge as usual. As I approached they scattered except for himself who ran ahead of the mower. I was doing a loop around the house so I just continued the next circuit one cut further out. He managed to run ahead of the mower in a panic for the ENTIRE loop before it dawned on him that if he turned outwards rather than inwards he would avoid the dreaded churning orange beastie.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

He was proving his fitness by leading the monster a merry chase?

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Maybe related to all the loud clucking from a hen (and usually, joined by the rooster) after she lays an egg. What's that about? "Hey! Predator! There's chickens here, along with a nice, fresh egg!".

Chickens are funny critters, but we sure enjoy ours.

Reply to
vandys

the way so I was out riding the mower. The flock was out foraging on the gr= ass with Oedipus on the edge as usual. As I approached they scattered excep= t for himself who ran ahead of the mower. I was doing a loop around the hou= se so I just continued the next circuit one cut further out. He managed to = run ahead of the mower in a panic for the ENTIRE loop before it dawned on h= im that if he turned outwards rather than inwards he would avoid the dreade= d churning orange beastie. David

As a young child I was in a large herd of turkeys who began to surround and= come after me. One at a time these foul are easily scared, but surrounded = by hundreds of them I was the one who was scared. They also will crowd toge= ther when scared or alarmed and suffocate each other. Birds! Janet

Reply to
jmuehl60

LOL. I can just picture it!

Reply to
Farm1

Did you ever see the terrified lady newscaster in a turkey barn? She 'bout had apoplexy when they surrounded her. The cameramen had to rescue her. I would bet it is on youtube somewhere.

Reply to
Nanzi

Reply to
raykelpie